The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  coping with a loud band on stage
Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 6:39 am    

they’re loud. Even at rehearsal. Tinnitus cuts in about half way through a 45 minute set. I’m not altogether happy with this bands sound, and I’ve said so, but they want the raucous rock sound. Thing is, I like the songs and been playing them before the raucous stuff started happening (this keeps me hooked in) Anyway that’s the sound they want but I am struggling on stage. I’m wondering whether the Buddy Cage technique - Twins 30 inches from your ear - is the way to go? With earplugs in. I’ve had some joy with one earplug in and a close loud monitor at the other. But eventually my VP is permanently mashed and I’m struggling to hear again. Anyone got any useful tips for dealing with loud bands (apart from asking anyone to turn down)? If there’s no way around it, I guess I’ll have to (reluctantly) deal an ultimatum ..

Ps - this is not Ralway Bell (in my sig) but another crew. Interestingly, I played in both bands over the last weekend (The Nannup Music Festival West Australia - Lucky played a handful of gigs with a few different outfits, brilliant stuff). Same gear, 3 shows each band. Ralway Bell sound was perfect for me.
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 7:04 am    

A lot of folks will say you need to leave the band or find a way to get them to turn down. Given neither of those are viable, I say:

Decent ear plugs and a Peavey Nashville 1000 was what I had to do for years of gigging with a band that could be loud at times.

Now, I use the same set of ear plugs, but a Telonics 2x12" combo and I'm still hanging in there and loving it.

Bottom line, get an amp with enough headroom that you won't be maxing out the throw of your volume pedal. Also, get earplugs that allow you to still hear what you're playing. It works for me.

Jeremy Threlfall

now in Western Australia
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 7:40 am    

Proper fitted earplugs are on the menu. I’ve got a Twin - I might start hauling that to gigs (usually pack a Steel King or a Deluxe)
http://ralwaybell.bandcamp.com/

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 8:06 am    

No your pain. I've had them tell me "you need to turn up some". I say, "no, you need to turn down some". I have amplification equipment that would stomp the heck out of them all but don't because that would show I'm no better than they are in that respect. I always sit in the rear and most of the loudness is out front.

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 9:06 am    

I play in a band that regularly struggles with this problem. But they know it (cuz I tell them all the time)! The worst part is, while it seems totally counterintuitive, usually a quieter band is more "powerful" sounding - you can hear all the instruments better, so the players start to gel together and play off each other better, and the singer isn't pushing so hard to win the volume war (which often results in diminished vocal quality).

Not to mention that there tends to be no dynamics in a noisy loud band, which also reduces the overall perceived energy.

So, I guess I see it as loud/noisy vs. dynamic/powerful. I much prefer the latter.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 9:08 am    

If you can't play low, you usually suck loud.

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 9:55 am    

There are only 3 solutions... earplugs, new band, or they turn down.
Pick one and go with it. Trust me... you don't want to end up with tinnitus.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 10:02 am    

Listen to our friend Skip.. i have Tinnitus, and I have it BAD... 24/7 screaming loud, forever,, You DO NOT want this.. Its a curse.. Either GET OUT, or get form fit earplugs from an audiologist, and never play with a loud band without them, under any circumstance... All it takes is ONE loud gig to get severe, life long non stop tinnitus... Do it now before you even play another gig with these guys... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 10:51 am    

Jeremy, what Skip and Bob said, I will 3rd that opinion. I have tinnitus too, and you don't want it. I got it from the same source, Loud Bands. Use Ear Plugs, if you have to make a living playing with loud bands. If its a hobby, find another band.

One other comment, Stage Volume is usually proportional to the drummer. Sometimes this can be corrected with a drum plexiglass "Drummer's play-pen" set up, or hire a new drummer.

~Bill

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 10:59 am    

The cure for playing too loud is for the offender(s) to listen to the other players rather than themselves.But unless you're the bandleader and can fire somebody on the spot for bad playing,there is not much you can do.

Jeremy's admittedly painful choice is to walk away or else pay with his hearing for membership in the too-loud band.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 12:28 pm    

Several friends swear by Earasers brand Hi-Fi ear plugs. I don't know I play with in ear monitors so never used them.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 1:52 pm    

In-ear monitors are an option as long as the whole show is going through the board. That way, you can adjust your own volume level to suit you. But you have to use good gear, including custom molded ear buds.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 2:11 pm     loud

What Jerry Dragon said.
widcj@hotmail.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 4:30 pm    

Quote:
There are only 3 solutions... earplugs, new band, or they turn down.
Pick one and go with it. Trust me... you don't want to end up with tinnitus

out of Skip's 3 solutions......I have been doing this for 30 years and my ear doctor says I have incredible hearing for someone that has been playing for 30 years...and back to Skip's 3 solutions.... number 1 does NOT work. number 3 will NOT work....so it is number 2....
So DO NOT choose number 1 or 3....do NOT DO it!!!
number 1 robs you of hearing music the right way...therefore you are robbing yourself of future progression. Number 3 is freaking impossible....they are playing the way they play; why change for you?? it will and never has happened....so YOU CHANGE...
Ricky

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 5:02 pm    

I gotta say, I agree with Ricky.
Personally, I hate playing with those foam earplugs, and I'll only do it in extreme situations. I really don't care for playing with someone who wears them, either. They're not in the moment with the rest of the band…there's a real disconnect.
As far as getting them to turn down… well…we both know how that goes. In a perfect world…

So… good luck with the new band.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 5:37 pm     Too Loud!!!

HIT THE ROAD AND DON'T LOOK BACK!!!!! Playing with a band that plays too loud robs your tone. Very unprofessional on the band leaders part.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 5:37 pm    

The earplug solution doesn't work that well, as earplugs always change the frequency response, and so you get the "wet blanket effect". Three other solutions I've tried (with some degree of success) are:

1) to set up so I sit directly to the side of (neither in front nor in back of) the lead player's amp

2) to set up on the opposite side of the stage from the lead player

3) to set up off the stage, away from the lead guitar and drums

After so many years of doing this, I can walk into a club before the band starts and pretty well judge what the torture will be from the stage size, and the speaker complement. (All the drums and cymbals being miked also throws up a red flag.)

There oughta be a law...

I'm firmly convinced that drummers should only be allowed to use 5A or 7A sticks, and that the lead guitar must use a 6' high stand for his amp, which is directly behind and no more than 3 feet from his head. Mr. Green

(Oh yeah, and a few foot-long strips of duct tape on the bottom of cymbals works wonders, too.)

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 8:30 pm    

Quote:
Sometimes this can be corrected with a drum plexiglass "Drummer's play-pen" set up,

I've often thought about getting a section of that stuff to put between me and a loud drummer or guitar amp. They make large plexiglass music stands. Perhaps one of those could be strategically placed between your ear and the offending amp or drum kit.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 9:22 pm    

Here's a different kind of hearing protection: ACU-LIFE Shooter's Hearing Protectors.

Unlike typical earplugs, these hearing protectors offer variable noise reduction, up to 18dB of protection.

These hearing protectors actually have a tiny diaphragm valve that normally stays open so the user can hear normal conversation and quiet sounds.
When there is a noise level above 90 dB (the beginning of the danger zone), the valve begins to close; when fully closed, the mfr says it can reduce up to 18 dB of noise. The valve closes instantaneously; so it is used by firearms shooters to block the noise of guns being fired.

Formerly known as “Sonic Valves” and sold in music stores-- now called Shooter's Impact Noise Reducing Ear Plugs
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTECDFU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sold by: Emtech Laboratories, Inc.
Currently only $12.99

I use them all the time when playing in a group with amplified instruments and drums.

- Dave

Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2018 10:18 pm     Psg

Just think what it's doing to the people that are there to see/hear the band. They wanna play that loud, let'em. I'd hate to see loud folks playing slow country ballads. Probably gets worse as the night goes on. I wouldn't put with that until the water got hot. To each there on !

Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 2:25 am    

invest in custom made earplugs. they roll off the sound in a much more natural way, rather than the high end roll off you get with foamies. also, they can be had with changeable decibel filters. i wouldn't leave the house without them.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 8:25 am    

Dave Campbell wrote:
invest in custom made earplugs. they roll off the sound in a much more natural way, rather than the high end roll off you get with foamies. also, they can be had with changeable decibel filters. i wouldn't leave the house without them.

right, Do NOT use foam earplugs,, they suck.. You need to go to an audiologist for custom made plugs with decibel filter inserts that cut the volume either 5- 15- or 25 dB, depending on the situation.. I WISH I had bought these before I destroyed my ears, rather than after the damage was done!... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 8:55 am    

I agree with Ricky and Skip. Period. Shocked

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 9:03 am    

earplugs and my Twin Reverb will put those volume happy guitarists in their place..... It's clean and LOUDER! In reality, I just try and get the boys to understand that we're getting louder and usually they listen!.... you definitely don't want tinnitus!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2018 11:39 am    

Jeremy Threlfall wrote:
Proper fitted earplugs are on the menu...)

Good man.

Musicians earplugs with a custom mold, fitted by an audiologist, were the best $150 I ever spent on gear. Period.

They suddenly made half the bands I play with tolerable. I use the 9db filters, and that's just enough to cross things over from 'annoying' to 'pleasant.'

It doesn't help that we tend to be situated near the drummer, seated, at cymbal level. Why did I wait so long to get them? Oh yeah... it took the onset of tinnitus to send me to see a professional to prevent any further loss.