The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie, Looking for a few troubleshooting pointers
John Smigelski

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 3:19 pm    

Hi all,

First time poster and new player. Excited to get into this venture. I recently acquired a second hand Hudson model 5010 3F-4K left-handed pedal steel and am having a few issues getting the C pedal up to tune without the open strings becoming sharp. There seems to be an issue with the 4th and 5th changer sticking. When I push the C pedal down it doesn't seem to come back all the way. Yet when I put my foot under the pedal and push up it will go back to original position going back to tune. Also, It seems as though there is a larger amount of play on the C pedal stop before engaging and it doesn't rotate nearly as smooth as the other pedals. I'm unsure the maintenance history of this instrument, and if it could be a lubricant issue? Again it seems the main issue at hand is the 4th and 5th changers are tightly rubbing together causing the strings to stay sharp and the changers not coming back to the original position. I was told by a steel playing friend that some instruments don't do well with lubrication so I'm hoping to get pointed in the right direction.

I hope this paints somewhat of a picture and would love some input!

Thanks for your time, folks

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 7:36 pm    

My first thought is. The builder used a round headed screw to lock the bearing in the wood so it would not turn. If the wood shrunk a little. The aluminum piece the pedal rod is hooked to may be rubbing on the screw head. Loosen the allen head set screw, And sliding the aluminum block on the cross shaft just 1/16 of inch away from the wood, And retighten the set screw may be all that is needed.

You may want to slide the alum. block back even more and look at the aluminum block to see if it has a scratch/rub mark from the screw head. There may be a burr on edge of screwdriver slot that could be removed would also help.

Have you oiled the changer finger?
Just a small drop between each finger.
Good Luck on this project, Happy Steelin

John Smigelski

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2024 8:16 pm    

Thank you, Bobby! I'll let you know my results. Any lubricant recommendations? Ive had a hard time finding Tri-flow in stock.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 7:27 am    

John you might find Tri-flow at bicycle shops. Players also use gun oil.

I have saxophone key oil, available at your local music store. You can dab it on with a toothpick.

Ross Shafer

Petaluma, California
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 8:03 am    

I'm sure a call or email to Mr. Hudson asking for his input would be the best course of action. No one knows his instruments like he does.

I think most of us builders are more than happy to help those who have questions or issues with the instruments we built.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 12:40 pm    

I never had any luck finding the right Tri-Flo locally.

Grainger stocks it as does Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Tri-Flow-TFC20027-Superior-Lubricator-Blister/dp/B000CCML7G/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2OALAM6SR7B7O&keywords=tri-flow+tfc20027+superior+pin+point+lubricator+blister+card+pack&qid=1705869562&sprefix=TFC20027%2Caps%2C118&sr=8-1

https://www.grainger.com/product/General-Purpose-Lubricant-2PB97
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2024 2:05 pm    

#1 rule of lubrication is to use it sparingly.
The good high end stuff is good. But simple 3-in-One is good enough for simple sparing lubrication. No question, a needle applicator of whatever you use is ideal, by a long shot.

But don't start throwing oil at the problem until you have identified the problem.

John Smigelski

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2024 9:52 pm    

Thank you so much, folks! After numerous times flipping the instrument over and minor adjustments I have the steel in tune. It took some sparing lubrication and one of the main issues were minimal slack on the C pedal 5th string pull rod. It's not perfect but enough to get a start. It seems that pull rod is very short and even after adjustments it is touchy with any foot pressure on the C pedal before engaging. As of now I haven't been able to give any more slack to stop that.

Good enough for a beginner though! Thanks again, all!