INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steelaire combo amp with 2 TT-12 speakers
Nick Holden

North Dakota, USA
Post Posted 3 Nov 2017 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Anybody using a Steelaire Combo amp Help!!! Can I use 2 separate cabs with TT-12 speakers one plugged into extension speaker 8ohms, and the other into internal speaker 4ohms and not hurt anything??? The TT-12s are 8ohms. Thanks for any info.
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post Posted 4 Nov 2017 6:53 am     Reply with quote

I talked with Pat Quilter about this and he told me that.. The Steelaire is intended for one or two 4-ohm speakers. A single speaker draws up to 200W and should be connected to “INT”. A second speaker should be connected to EXT. Dual 4-ohm speakers split the power evenly. If one of them is 8-ohms, it will draw 1/3 the power (66W) and the 4-ohm will draw 2/3 (133W). It won’t matter which jack each is in. When the second jack is used, a contact is lifted that reduces the optimum output impedance to drive the heavier load. The amp is quite “forgiving” about impedance, will generally deliver the same power over a wide range, and the only effect of mismatches will be minor changes in tone.