The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Further education
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 4:39 pm    

I seem to have accidentally become the resident steel player at one of my local pubs. They have a regular Thursday jam night which it has taken me six years to find out about because I don't visit bars much these days.

The guy who organises it is happy for me to sit there all night and join in with what comes up on stage, or not. There's a fair bit of loud electric rock to which I can contribute nothing, but I use it as practice to play the same old thing over and over in as many places on the neck as I can find, which is educational. Then eventually something gentler comes along and I can chip in. There's a fair bit of rock 'n' roll, and they are surprised that the steel does it so well.

I have excited a lot of curioity, as none of them have seen a PSG in the flesh before. I hope that as time goes by I shall hook up with folks who want to do something a bit more structured.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 3:42 am    

I totally agree that you have found an ideal setting for educating yourself. I had a similar gig many years ago and the experience was a huge building block in learning to play. BTW, if you think out-side-of-the-box even Rock music can incorporate a PSG.

Have Fun!

Robert

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 5:33 am    

Robert, I'm still acquainting myself with the inside of the box, but yes! Smile

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 3:27 am    

Ian,

I have been trying to play for 43 year, and still feel like a beginner most days...

Robert

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2017 8:43 am    

Robert Parent wrote:
Ian,
I have been trying to play for 43 year, and still feel like a beginner most days...
Robert

If you start every practice session with "beginner's mind", you will probably come out of it being able to do something you couldn't do before.

Ian, I am looking for something just like what you have found. I'm thinking I might have to start it myself Cool