The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Using a tuner for pitch reference
Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:20 am    

Newbie question here. Any issues with using a tuner (Peterson StroboPlus HD) as a reference for bar placement? I find it helpful when trying to learn slant positions and learn the relationship between the steel position and fret markers.

Thoughts?

Bill

Keith Glendinning

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 10:09 am    

Using a tuner when playing requires you to look at it for every note or chord played. That will slow down your playing considerably. Much better to develop your ear to hear when the note(s) are correctly intonated. It takes time.

David M Brown

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 10:25 am    

Keith Glendinning wrote:
Using a tuner when playing requires you to look at it for every note or chord played. That will slow down your playing considerably. Much better to develop your ear to hear when the note(s) are correctly intonated. It takes time.

Exactly. Use open strings as a reference (carefully) if needed. Use the tuner to help tune the overall instrument, not each bar position.

Lee D Kaiser

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 6:10 pm    

If you find it helpful to get the intonation right as you learn, I say do it. I've done just the same myself. Obviously, your goal is to play without the tuner.

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2017 8:53 am    

I have a friend who likes to practice with a Boss TU12 plugged in, because at any time he can stop, look down, and see what note(s) he is playing on the string/fret, or what the notes are in any triad or partial chord he is playing at whatever fret.
It would work for slants too I guess Smile
He had a background in Theory from previous instruments, so the note names were important to him.
I'm really not into note names myself Smile
...What Key are we in?

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 6:16 am    

I occasionally use a free app called UberChord on my phone. You play a chord and it listens and tells you what chord it is and what notes are in it. Doesn't work in a band setting, but it's great for getting to know the fret board, or learning a new tuning.

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2017 1:28 pm     Re: Using a tuner for pitch reference

Bill Burch wrote:
Newbie question here. Any issues with using a tuner (Peterson StroboPlus HD) as a reference for bar placement? I find it helpful when trying to learn slant positions and learn the relationship between the steel position and fret markers.

Thoughts?

Bill

I figure a tuner is better than anything else if you are now training your ear.

I live by my Peterson Strobo Plus HD. Love it and wouldn't play without it. Its helped me achieve some pretty complex slants accurately and developing one's ear takes time. So makes logical sense to me.

As using a bar accurately is difficult hence why so many people overuse vibrato.

If thats what you're going for a more classic Hawaiian Style then use your ears. If you are looking for a clean Western swing Tom Morrell Or Buddy Emmons style then use the tuner as a tool to help you perfect it.

After a few years your ear will kick in cause its always listening. Training the ear takes time so while its learning reference pitches the tuner will help you. Logical.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"