The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What's My Franklin D-10 Worth?
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 4:30 pm    

Maroon like Randall Curries, 8/6, At least very good to excellent.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 5:35 pm    

Pics ???
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 9:53 am     franklin

Searching past sales in general of Franklin D-10s, you should be able to sell it pretty quickly at 8K... could probably get over 10K if you find the right buyer and have it fully run through by a pro.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 10:16 am    

Last edited by Damir Besic on 31 Oct 2017 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 12:03 pm    

Damir,

I disagree that for sale posts don't mean much. I think the for sale posts are a great indicator of a guitar's value as you can see a posted price and and idea of how long they took to sell to get a sense of how reasonable the price is. Likely a guitar sold for less, but it is a good indicator for the transactions I've been involved with. I honestly will look at a cached copy of an ad if the price has been removed post-sale because I think it's valuable to understand.

Saw a D-10 listed for 8K a while back on reverb and a U12 for 12.5K at a Vintage Instrument store in Nashville... (I'd expect retail to be a markup vs what a forum member would post). The range seemed pretty reasonable to me based on looking at for sale posts and just what I've seen elsewhere.

Would love to hear your opinion on the range of a franklin. I'm guessing you'd buy at 6K or less and sell at 12K or more.

-Jon

EDIT: Tone is hard to read over a forum. I'm not trying sound like a jerk here or be rude Damir with that last line. Its a legit comment on where I think you would perceive a "good value" for a Franklin in order to make a profit. Retail in my head is priced 2x cost to cover effort/expenses/risk....

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 2:56 pm    

I ask Bobbe Seymour once. What's an nice 72 PP worth. He replied. Depends. I ask, depends on what? His reply. Are you buying or selling? Very Happy

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 5:01 pm    

Jon,
I agree with you that knowing the price of an instrument is useful as a ballpark figure and wish guys would not delete prices once an instrument is sold. By this statement, do you mean to copy the ad with the price if it is present:

"I honestly will look at a cached copy of an ad if the price has been removed post-sale .........."

Thanks,
Stevet

Jon Zimmerman

California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 6:08 pm     Not just buyer or seller..

Other factors can't be overlooked. Supply/demand, name brand, an economic downturn, a health issue, a divorce, family emergency, a discontinued band gig.. so many pitfalls!

If the original price was NOT what the seller accepted, why keep it posted if not accurate?
Bobbe S. sure knew how to navigate it all.
Oh Well
Bob, I do hope you can get all you need from it, (which MAY involve trades, I failed to mention!) Sorry for the gloom/doom references, and by all means, let it be effortless for you, after all. Best Wishes, JZ

Last edited by Jon Zimmerman on 31 Oct 2017 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 6:28 pm     Re: Not just buyer or seller..

Jon Zimmerman wrote:
If the original price was NOT what the seller accepted, why keep it posted if not accurate?

Because it at least tells you the upper limit?

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 7:28 pm    

Hey Steve

A lot of Web pages are cached by google,etc. Often can dig up a stored version of a page before it was edited to remove priceinfo.

Jon

steve takacs

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 8:02 pm    

Thanks for that information about being able to use GOOGLE. Or some other site to find the original posts. I did not know that. Very useful. Stevet

Jon Schimek

Lyons, Co - USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 8:30 pm    

Hey Steve,

Yea if you google about cached sites there are lots of tools, you can google the sale page's address or throw it into a link like this. I picked a closed link with no info:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=321890

Lots of times info like photos are lost but it can be handy

Jon

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 8:46 pm    

Paddy Long wrote:
Pics ???

Paddy,

Are you interested? I see you have a Zum which is what I would be looking for.

thx

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 9:06 pm    

Don't mean to be blunt but it's worth what ever someone is willing to pay and how bad you want to sell it. That's what my dad always told me about anything.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 31 Oct 2017 11:00 pm    

Thanks a million, Jon. Again, I still find this helpful even if there are other factors involved in the pricing. I have no way of knowing what someone is willing to pay or how bad someone wants to sell it. Stevet

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 7:03 am    

Henry has it right. The thing I don't understand is why folks feel a Franklin is worth so much more than other guitars. They are good guitars is true but I'd put any of my Emmons up against one any day. Is it because of the few numbers made?

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 7:50 am    

Dave Diehl wrote:
Henry has it right. The thing I don't understand is why folks feel a Franklin is worth so much more than other guitars. They are good guitars is true but I'd put any of my Emmons up against one any day. Is it because of the few numbers made?

So right Dave. If it's because of how many were made, then JCH's should be worth a fortune. It's all boils down to supply and demand I guess. There my be a small number of a product but if it's not in demand, it's worthless I guess. Franklins are in demand.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 7:57 am    

Have you guys ever played a Franklin? The pedal action almost defies physics even with the helper springs off!

bob

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:06 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Don't mean to be blunt but it's worth what ever someone is willing to pay and how bad you want to sell it. That's what my dad always told me about anything.

I bought a 90 dollar fiddle one time at DiFiore's in Cleveland. Mr. D was behind the counter when I bought it, and I asked him why my fiddle was only 90 bucks and the one in the glass case behind the counter was $750. He didn't answer, he just looked at me like I was an idiot, which I was.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:08 am    

I have owned and played several Franklins and they are unique. Well worth the money in my opinion.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:40 am    

It depends on what the market will bear. Search the past posts for the sales and ask accordingly. You can shoot for the moon with your asking price and someone might be willing to spend for it. On The whole, Franklins don't sell cheap and you'll probably get a good buck for it. Personally, I'm not a good salesman, but, I wouldn't sell something that's worthy of value for a cheap price. Reasonable yes, but, not cheap. I'd venture a guess at the price at nothing less than $7,500.00 as long as it plays well and looks good.

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:41 am    

It depends on what the market will bear. Search the past posts for the sales and ask accordingly. You can shoot for the moon with your asking price and someone might be willing to spend for it. On The whole, Franklins don't sell cheap and you'll probably get a good buck for it. Personally, I'm not a good salesman, but, I wouldn't sell something that's worthy of value for a cheap price. Reasonable yes, but, not cheap. I'd venture a guess at the price at nothing less than $7,500.00 as long as it plays well and looks good.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:44 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I have owned and played several Franklins and they are unique. Well worth the money in my opinion.

We are really discussing a moot point. What's unique to you may not be to me or the next guy. I've never really played a Franklin, just sat down at one once and it felt like any other all pull to me. Wish I could have taken it for a test drive, lol. Would I like to have one, sure would but wouldn't give the kind of money people ask for one but that's just me. What's unique to me is a really nice push pull.😊

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 8:57 am    

Well, I can tell ya that Paul Sr. once told me that he gets calls from all over the world, looking for Franklins, and that he could sell them every day for $10K if he had them to sell.

T. C. Furlong

Lake County, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2017 10:24 am    

I'm by no means expert on Franklin steels vs. other steels but I am experienced with critical and careful listening to no less than seven Franklins (not all mine) and dozens of Emmons' and other top brands. I think Franklin steel guitars are unrivaled when it comes to a great recording steel guitar. I have done more than 200 sessions with one of my Franklins and every single time, it does not fall short in any way. The steel track seems to lay in the song better than with other steels. The fact that every note is even is really important and ideal for recording. Other guitars do sound great live but a Franklin has an "edge" to the attack that is unique and excellent - to my ear. I have some premium Emmons steels but when I play out, I pack up and take a Franklin. Oh, and did I mention that they play like butter? I wouldn't part with mine for $10K Just my $.02 TC