The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please help me improve!
Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 6:38 am    

I recorded this last night; two weeks after getting a steel from Jerry Roller.

Please tell me what mistakes I am making early on so I can eliminate bad habits early. I leave my ego behind and learn nothing from 'Sounds good' comments (unless there are specific things I am doing right)

So let 'er rip. I'm all about improvement and I have been around long enough to know that bad habits developed early is problematic.

Thanks!

https://youtu.be/CFUvijUtNso

Jordan Bissonnette

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 8:22 am    

in my honest opinion.. if you've only actually been playing for a few weeks you're off to a really good start. One bad habit most new steel players do (i was guilty of this) is using the volume pedal like a gas pedal. But from what i hear in your video you're doing a pretty good job of managing the volume pedal so you're off to a good start.. think of your volume pedal as being there to add sustain by slowly raising the volume as the note starts to fade, obviously at times the song/mood calls for big swells but it because a bad habit if you do them too much. For 2 weeks though you're sounding really great. Over time your playing will slowly get less "mechanical and rigid" too... but like i've stated before for 2 weeks you're doing awesome!

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 9:04 am     Thank you!

Actually I have no volume pedal yet. I have a hilton coming, but I'm relying on picking intensity to regulate that right now. Coming from a 6-string this makes sense but I do want to get one going here soon.

It's not exactly just two weeks - well, it is this time around. I seem to get a steel urge every 10 years or so and then I get frustrated and sell it and go back to the telecaster. This is the furthest I have ever gotten and I am a lot more dedicated this time.

Jordan Bissonnette

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 10:25 am    

haha well that would explain why i didnt hear any big volume swells then Wink

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 10:31 am    

Get involved with a course of instruction, such as those from Jeff Newman, Doug Jernigan, Joe Wright or some others. Don't just look at youtube videos.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 12:05 pm    

Very nicely done!

Last edited by John Alexander on 26 Oct 2017 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 5:30 pm     Advice!!!!

Landon, What ever you are doing don't change anything. You are doing one hell of a job. A volume pedal will help with sustain.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 5:41 pm    

Coming along nicely for just two weeks back in the saddle, Landon! Smile

Tommy Allison

Transfer, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 6:24 am    

What Doug said. I wish I'd had access to learning material like this 40+ years ago. On the other hand, I can always blame my poor playing on a poor teacher.....me.

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 6:32 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:

Thank you - it was your version of this that got me started on figuring out melodies and not just chords. I don't have any tab - how close did I come to what you did in your version (minus the skill of course)?

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 6:56 am    

Take a look at your vibrato. You seem to be pushing down on the bar and wiggling. Maybe try playing with no vibrato at all until you are confident and happy with your intonation and tone. Vibrato needs to be a part of musical expression and needs to be relaxed. It will come naturally as you sink in to the singing qualities of the steel.

Your right wrist looks to be bent slightly which may cause problems also.

I'm not buying the two week thing though. You sound to good for that Very Happy

Keep up the good work !

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 7:38 am    

From someone who has not touched a PSG in a few years (So why do I post here? Who knows? A love of the instrument, I guess)........

Very good job without a volume pedal. There are some who say to practice without one. I gotta believe that doing without it can help with your touch and dynamics and blocking in the long run.

I detected a couple of intonation things. Maybe the most noticeable one was towards the beginning of the song. It happens, and will go away with practice.

Keep practicing with a recorded "band". The knack of playing in time can fade away if you're not careful. In fact, I've found that practicing a song slower than you'd normally play it can be an eye opener. Not only for timing issues, but technique as well.

Practicing with a recorded "band": Another benefit is that they will not stop for you if you make a mistake. It teaches you how to stumble and land on your feet and keep going. This can help when playing with a real band, since someone will always change when they are not supposed to, no matter how many frickin' times they have heard and played that song in their life. Plus, you can record it and review it.

There was one section where you played the melody or whatever on the lower strings. Most PSG players tend to stick to the treble strings for the standard licks. I'd like to see more exploration in the bass strings with melodies and chords and fills.

The song is basically a I IV V, with a couple of related chords and somewhat non standard changes. I think this is a good move as well. Try to pick songs that are not the everyday I IV V. This will expand your ability to get from one chord to another, and will help that thinking on your feet thing, not to mention your knowledge of the fretboard.

Good job.

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 8:43 am     another question...

OK, so this morning I fired up the amp and sat down to practice a bit... the guitar needed tuned so I got that done, without my picks on.

I came to realize that I play much better - right now - without them, and it seems to sound better too.

Am I missing something here? I see there are people who play without fingerpicks and I've read posts that share varied opinions on the subject...

Am I trading facility as a noob for eventual shortcomings later? I mean, are there things I will come to realize I cannot do unless I have picks on? It's not that the picks are uncomfortable (Pearse hi-riders solved that - it was a big problem last time I tried PSG in 2007) but it seems so much easier to play without them.

Note I have been playing my electric 6-string without a plectrum for a decade now... perhaps this is why?

What do my esteemed mentors think? At 60 is it fair to expect an old dog to learn a new trick or would it be of better use to play without them at this point? I don't have 30 years to become facile...

Ken Campbell

Ferndale, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 5:13 pm    

The great Bob Koefer only used a thumbpick. There is, in my opinion, no single correct way.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2017 5:45 pm    

Doing pretty good in such a short time. Your right hand may give you some problems with speed and blocking if you continue with your right hand position. It will be more prevalent when you start adding harmonies with your lead.

Stick with it , you have a great start.

Jerry Dragon

Gate City Va.
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2017 3:34 am    

If I could play that well I would be a happy camper. Just starting out, nowheres near that.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 3:17 pm     Picks For Sure!!

Landon, No Matter What You Read. USE THE PICKS. It is a matter of tone. The tone that you produce with a good set of picks will be more satisfying to your ears. I have best results and tone with Jeff Newmans finger picks and a large National thumb pick. If you were playing with no picks Newman picks follow the curve of the tips of your fingers. Been using Newman picks for probably 25 years. I play somewhat aggressive so they work very well for me. DO NOT STOP AND DON'T PUT IT IN THE CLOSET!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landon Johnson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 3:44 pm     a passing thing

Yes I have returned to using the picks. It's a little bit awkward but when I put them back on it seemed like it was a little easier this time.

No, not planning on putting it away this time. I have grown musically over the past 10 years and I feel more ready for this now.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 6:19 pm    

Landon Johnson wrote:
Jim Cohen wrote:

Thank you - it was your version of this that got me started on figuring out melodies and not just chords. I don't have any tab - how close did I come to what you did in your version (minus the skill of course)?

I think I heard a few sections that were reminiscent of my version... that's cool, we all are influenced by others. The main thing is to use your collection of bits and pieces and paint your own picture with them, as you are doing. Good job!