The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any good for steel?
Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 12:55 pm    

Has anyone tried a Peavey special 1.12 160 watt combo for steel?if so what was your opinion please.

Jimmy.

Carl Heatley

Morehead City,NC
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 1:55 pm    

Hi Gibbo...I,v used one for years....Great little amp but not as light as you may think...I put casters on mine which makes it easier to move around.
Also used the Renown 1-12 which is much that same platform apart from it has digi reverb.
The Bandit works well too.
Hope you are keeping well!
Carl.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 2:20 pm    

I used to use a Special 130 for steel and it is a great little amp. The low notes on C6th really hold up surprisingly well with that 12" speaker. Sure was nice change from hauling a Session 500 around.
I was in a band with Regi Wooten, in the mid 90's he took ownership of the Special 130 and when I'd see him perform live or on Youtube, He usually had the Special 130 in tow. he sometimes used it with some Soldano/marshall type head. I think he likes using it because it's easier to travel with.
A great workhorse. reliable, and lots of power.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 6:30 pm    

I have a Special 130 that I put in a Pacer cabinet (same size as LTD, Nashville 400, and other Peaveys) and made a new baffle for a 15" speaker. I currently have a Sica 4ohm in it and it is one of the best sounding steel amps I ever owned.

MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 7:35 am    

Darvin Willhoite wrote:
I have a Special 130 that I put in a Pacer cabinet (same size as LTD, Nashville 400, and other Peaveys) and made a new baffle for a 15" speaker. I currently have a Sica 4ohm in it and it is one of the best sounding steel amps I ever owned.

like darvin i have a special 130 in a nashville 400 cab with a peavey 1502 speaker . great amp with steel and guitar. Smile
p.w

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 9:22 am     Peavey Special 1x12

Thanks guys for your input,I have just bought the Peavey Special 1x12 the amp works fine and is very loud,but There is a jack plug in the effects send and return input on the front,the guy I got it from says he has always used the amp like that,also the original speaker has been replaced with a 4 ohm Eminence ,he has given me the old original Scorpion speaker with the amp if I ever want to put it back in,Scorpion or Eminence what would you do?

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 10:05 am    

Try them both, I would probably go for the Eminence, but that's just my opinion.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Jimmy Gibson

Cornwall, England
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2017 3:39 am    

Just an update,I used the PV Special 1x12 last night,for the first time ,and after a little adjustment was very pleased with the steel and lead guitar sound,and boy this amp is loud ,and the Eminence speaker handled the bottom end without any breakup,so very pleased,thanks guys for all your input.

Jimmy.