The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gold Lion 6V6 tubes
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 7:25 am    

I was wondering if anyone has experience using these?
I installed a pair into my Victoria 2012 and I am really happy with them so far. The amp now has more clean headroom and smooth distortion when pushed.
It is easy to find a nice setting with smooth distortion that cleans up when the guitar volume is dialed back.

I would like to hear feedback from others if possible.
regards,
Lefty

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 12:21 am    

From TheTubeStore, by John Templeton:
"The Gold Lion 6V6 is the top of the line in current production 6V6 power tubes. To go on about the subtle tone variation would frankly be a waste of time. They have the classic 6V6 sound. Plenty of smooth creamy overdrive. You won’t get better tone and reliability from anything else on the market. If you want even more then look for NOS tubes like Brimar U.K., Philips, or RCA. To test the initial reliability I installed a set in a 1956 Bassman. The dual 5U4GB rectifiers provide a rock solid 440 volts on the plates. The only modifications done to the amp were upgraded screen resistors (5w 1K) and a variable bias control. I’ve done this with NOS tubes and the JJ 6V6 (an indestructible tube) but never with a Russian or Chinese product. Happily there were no issues, or smoke, only great tone. DO NOT try this at home, it was only a test to see if they would burn out on startup. Currently there is no long term performance data on life expectancy or road worthiness but given the rugged construction I expect them to be equal or superior to anything else in the current market offerings."

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 7:15 am    

"To test the initial reliability I installed a set in a 1956 Bassman."

Note: I'm sure whomever did this test understood what they were doing more than me, and monitored things very closely.
However, they installed a 6V6 tube into an amp made for 5881/6L6 tubes. That is generally frowned upon.

As he said: "DO NOT try this at home, it was only a test to see if they would burn out on startup."

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2017 12:02 pm    

To my ears they sound really good. I guess time will tell about life. I think I will buy one for the Victoria 05112 (5 watt). I have been buying a few small amps as I know I will have to sell the larger amps before too long.
thanks,
Lefty