The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Viola case for lap steel?
Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 10:09 am    

First off, this will only work with a short scale guitar that has the bridge very close to the end. I bought a bakelite Rickenbacker-made Academy guitar without a case and I wanted to put it in something better than a soft case without spending more than I paid for the guitar. I saw this viola case for $38 on ebay and it looked like the measurements would work so I gave it a try.
I don't know the brand but it appears to be an inexpensive asian-made case. The structure of the case is styrofoam covered with a heavy fabric on the outside. It looks like canvas but I'm sure it's synthetic. Not the greatest but a lot more protection than the average gig bag.

I shifted the upper bout supports and did a little shimming to snug my guitar in there better. Also made a divider and covered it with fake suede as there was plenty of room in the lid for my harmonicas, mic and cables. Even room in the outside pocket for my stand and it has shoulder straps if my hands are otherwise full. Perfect for carrying to a jam without looking like I'm moving in. Modifying a gun case might have been a better option buy I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 10:19 am    

Nice score.....turned out well.