The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  ***Please Close*** Epitome lap steel ***Please Close***
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 11:46 am    

This is a vintage Epitome lap steel that was purchased missing its electronics, and subsequently was cobbled together with parts from various sources. This is how I originally received the instrument:

I installed the bridge that was the subject of this post:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=320509&highlight=
I fabricated a control plate and installed a Gibson PU-390 (aka Melody Maker) pickup from a Skylark:

And brand-new electronics (pots, knobs, tone cap, wiring, shielding, jack, and jack-plate):

The original black plastic-buttoned Kluson strip tuners are in decent condition, and they do what they're supposed to do:

Here's front and back views of the completed instrument:

There is one issue that should not be overlooked -- the neck/headstock has a noticeable twist, which has been compensated for by an adjustment to the original nut:

Does not make much difference in playability to my ear. The Epitome plays okay and sounds pretty good with its Gibson pickup and new electronics. Should be good to go for another 60-70 years or so. Set up for C6. 23" scale.

A good instrument for the beginner, or one to take camping or to the beach with your battery-powered amp. Includes original chipboard case in fair condition (shown in first pic). Hinges and clasp are okay, but its handle has broken off.

$150.00. I will split actual shipping cost 50/50. Shipped via USPS to USA only.

Last edited by Jack Hanson on 24 Oct 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 7:43 am    

To the top, please...

Somebody should purchase this inexpensive rescued lap steel before I bring it into town for consignment at the only music store in the Valley.

It sounds great. It has over thirty bucks worth of brand-new electronic parts. The early wide-bobbin Melody Maker pickup is a tremendous upgrade from the original.

The MM pickup, original Kluson tuners, and Kay bridge individually would undoubtedly bring more money on eBay than the asking price. Still, I would rather sell it as a complete instrument. It's sad when an instrument that plays and sounds good is worth less than the sum of its component parts.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2017 1:29 pm     Please close, no interest

Brought it into town to the local music store and put it on consignment.