The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender FS-52
Mel Taylor

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 5:42 pm    

I hope I am posting this in the right place but I just need some education on a Fender. I found a Fender FS-52 6 string for sale. The ad says that it is a re-issue. Can someone tell me if that means it is an authentic Fender? Thanks in advance for any help. Mel

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:00 pm    

Mel, Yes, it's a Fender product, an Asian made reissue of a 52 Fender, but unfortunately it's a cheaply made, nothing like the original Fenders. It has a Strat style pickup, not a string-through pickup like the original. Some players have upgraded them with better pickups and like them. Do a Forum search and you'll find several threads from around 2007, mostly negative, about the FS-52. I think Fender discontinued this lap steel.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:19 pm    

The fretboard on those have a mirrored finish. I'm not sure about the experience of anyone else, but I found it to be a very annoying feature.

Jim Hoock

Highlands Ranch, CO.
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:42 pm     Fs-52

Hi Mel...I have one that was given to me as my first lap steel. Yeah, it is cheap. It sounds cheap. But, for practice...mine rides around in my car, cold, hot, bouncing around on rough roads...it stays in tune like a real...Fender.
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 6:46 pm    

One of my students had an FS-52 a few years ago. I played it and it felt like a cheap toy, and the sound was thin and shrill. Yes, if you're looking for a cheap beater, go for it. Just don't pay too much for it. Neutral

Mel Taylor

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 7:24 am     Fender FS-52

Thanks guys for your responses they have been very helpful. I already have a very cheaply made 6 string that I purchased a couple of years ago and I also purchased Doug's books and backing tracks to learn C6 tuning. I know that Fender is well known for it's tone so I was hoping this one would fit the bill. I have decided to pass on buying this one.