The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Advice on Selling Price For 1964 Emmons
Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 1:50 pm    

After nearly 50 years of owning this Emmons, I am putting it up for sale. I have no idea what to ask for it, and saw the post in the "For Sale" section that is was okay to ask for advice about a selling price. This is a one-of-a-kind guitar, to say the least! When Buddy moved into his next guitar from this one, Ron Lashley saved this guitar for me, as Ron was good friends with my dad. I received the guitar when I was 13 years old, and started my pedal steel lessons from Ron. See the fingerpicks on the undercarriage? They are not mine. They belonged to Buddy Emmons. They were placed there by Buddy, and NEVER removed. See ASK BUDDY, Finger Picks, 03/08/2002. The guitar has fortunately (or unfortunately?) spent most of it's life since about 1970 in the case. That's when I started playing Sho-Bud's for many years, and finally Carters.

I have been in poor health for some years now, and it is time for me to start doing something with some of my 70-80 steel guitars. I know that there are many Emmons experts on the Forum that I hope can give me some advice which will help me in asking a fair price for this guitar. I have many pictures; the guitar is in the same original condition as when Buddy Emmons played it in 1964.
I had an extended post about this guitar back in about 2003? with many other photos, including one with an advertisement in the 1966 Country Music Roundup Magazine showing Buddy seated at this guitar.
Thank your for your courtesy, time, and consideration.
Gary

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 2:02 pm    

Interesting piece. Do you know the serial #? No knee levers? When was it changed to a Day set-up? Do the changer pillars lean to the left? I think many of us will be interested. Just need more info.

Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 2:53 pm    

Bobby:
This is a non-serialized Emmons. I learned that Ron let some of these early guitars go out the door without serial numbers. I posted on the Forum about this guitar on 01/14/2002. If you lookup the old post, there is a lot of information and pictures about the guitar from 15 years ago. It has been in the case since then. As far as the Day set-up, I can't really recall, but if it does have the Day setup, I must have changed it in the late 60's/early 70's, as I know my first Sho-Bud Pro II was a Day.
As far as knee levers, it only has one. The guitar was original with one knee lever. I can't get this message to upload another picture, but if you get to the old posting in 2002, I just looked and all of the old photos are there. Gary

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 3:03 pm    

Thanks Gary, I'll try to find the old post. I was under the impression the guitar is a 65 and was used for the photo shoot. As for the year, up close shots of the pillar mounts and undercarriage will tell a lot. Particularly the changer side.

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 18 Oct 2017 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total

Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 3:10 pm    

Buddy was the first owner, I was the second. Buddy did not own the guitar for very long. I know I had possession of the guitar certainly by late '65.
I began taking pedal steel lessons in the fall of 1965 from Ron on this guitar at the Emmons Guitar Factory in (then) Graham, NC. It later became Burlington. Anyway, Buddy probably played the guitar for around a year or so.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 3:37 pm    

Gary, My search turned up this for those interested. You'll need to scroll down about 1/2 way.

BTW, you'll more input if you list this under Pedal Steel. Just a thought.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=195303&highlight=#195303

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 18 Oct 2017 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 12:51 am    

Gary, that's the coolest vintage p/p I've ever seen. Best of luck finding the right buyer.

Gary Morrison

Centennial, CO, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 9:31 am    

Bobby:
You're right. I think I have asked about this in the wrong section. Sorry, B0B.
I'll close this post and move to Pedal Steel.
Gary

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 9:37 am    

Moved per request.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2017 9:49 am    

Man, check out that flocking!

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 7:58 am    

Sorry to hear about your health issues Gary. I know it must be heartbreaking to have to let your cherished guitar go. Wishing you all the best.

Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 12:36 pm    

70 or 80 steels???

oh my....

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2017 3:28 pm     History of It's Own

Beautiful guitar with a priceless history. I could not put a price on it. Priceless piece to exhibit in your music room or living room.