The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Convert Match-Bro To True Bypass
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 7:23 am    

I missed out on a MB Custom so back to the drawing board.

Can a standard MB have the switch changed/converted to true bypass. Attached is a pic of a MB custom that does do full bypass.

thx

bob

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 10:01 am    

I have one of the original models, with a tone control in the non dobro setting. With the original model it essentially has a "matchbox" or "Lil Izzy" op-amp output.

If I wanted complete bypass I would look at adding another switch for that, if you can find space to mount it.

There's no "real estate" (space) on mine for another switch. I have a "power on/off" switch installed on the bottom and that filled it up. There is no space at the top to add another switch. If yours does not have the bypass tone control there would be space on the bottom to add a small "mini switch" to do the bypass.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 12:36 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I have one of the original models, with a tone control in the non dobro setting. With the original model it essentially has a "matchbox" or "Lil Izzy" op-amp output.

If I wanted complete bypass I would look at adding another switch for that, if you can find space to mount it.

There's no "real estate" (space) on mine for another switch. I have a "power on/off" switch installed on the bottom and that filled it up. There is no space at the top to add another switch. If yours does not have the bypass tone control there would be space on the bottom to add a small "mini switch" to do the bypass.

Can the switch be updated or re-wired? I don't have a pic of the original so I'm driving blind here.

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 1:51 pm    

I looked at that switch and got confused. There is no schematics, other than the hand drawn schematic that Bob Lawrence made. Its below and maybe you can figure out if or what has to be done to make it a true bypass. As I previously noted I don't want a full bypass.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 2:26 pm    

Jack Stoner wrote:
I looked at that switch and got confused. There is no schematics, other than the hand drawn schematic that Bob Lawrence made. Its below and maybe you can figure out if or what has to be done to make it a true bypass. As I previously noted I don't want a full bypass.

Thanks, Jack
Looks Greek to me but maybe Brad is around?

bob