The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Kemper Profiler pros + cons
Steven Cabral

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2017 3:00 pm    

I'm thinking about getting a Profiler and I'm wondering what others have experienced such as if you have the 600 watt head , what do you think of the amp ? If not , what amps are you using ? What about speakers ? Being made overseas , have you had any support or service issues ? Any input on these or other related subjects would be appreciated . Thanks Steve

Scott Peacock

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 4:10 pm    

I have the non-power amp Kemper and I go into a TC Furlong 1x12 powered cab and I love the sound of it. However I don't have any experience with the powered version of the Kemper to compare it to.

Steven Cabral

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 8:27 am    

tt

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 10:10 am    

I have NO real experience with this amp, so you have been warned. ;>))
However, since this doesn't seem to be getting a lot of traffic, here goes.

You didn't say what you were going to use it with. Guitar? Steel? Both? More?

Repairs: Likely to be a PITA if you ever need it. It's probably not as simple as a PTP circuit, or even a standard PCB traditional amp.

Spare: If you can afford a second Kemper, please put me in your will. If not, it's a done deal that you need a spare for gigs. This is where a used Bandit/Mustang/fill in the blank will fit in nicely.

Speakers: I have started to hear that full range speakers are the way to go. However, that may not be practical for most guys. Most guys will use a standard cabinet of some sort. So, what kind? I don't know. You'll need to do some more research.

Sounds: I think it may be a slam dunk. If all goes well you will have a thousand times more "amps" than you ever dreamed, with effects to boot.

Sounds: You could use the stock profiles. Or, there is a small group of guys out there doing custom profiles of amps and selling the software as "packages". One of the names that keeps popping up is Britt. There was a topic on here very recently. More research for you to do. There was also an article in Guitar Player magazine within the past year on this very subject.

I guess I've given you more work to do.
No need to thank me. ;>))

Gerry Simon

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2017 9:12 pm    

There are a lot of Youtube videos that compare, dissect and give opinions on this unit, on both its operational functionality and its morality. Personally, I have the rack version w/ the power amp. I am happy with the purchase. It works great from coffee shops to concert stage, from duos to 11 piece bands playing RnR! It is lite weight and fast to set up and all your controls are at your finger tips. I have had no issues with it so have no opinion as to repair problems. That said, I still enjoy my Surgical Steel tube powered amp a lot and like being able to trade off when the mood strikes. The Kemper is a bit like a computer; it takes a half minute to boot up and is not a good idea to pull the plug unexpectedly. I tend to baby it, treat it very gently and probably should have a voltage regulated power supply with battery, like computers, to be safe. I use the same speakers as my SS amp tho a full range sounds great when I'm home. It is also great for recording and very quiet since I can go direct and still get the sound I like.

Danny Bentley

Hendersonville Tn
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 10:58 am     Kemper

I recently bought a Kemper.
I bought the non powered version, but in hindsight I should have bought the powered version. The power amp that comes stock works great and doesn’t really add any extra weight. I’m using a Tubeworks power amp and it adds too much extra weight.
I’m still learning about profiling amps,
but there’s seems to be more info each day coming out.
Overall it’s well worth the price for me.

Dan

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:45 am    

Somebody has to be the bad guy and muddy things up, so I guess it's me.

The other big name in this arena seems to be the Axe FX.
Have you considered them?

Steven Cabral

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 9:36 am    

Most of what I've read favors the Kemper over the Ax.

Danny Bentley

Hendersonville Tn
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 12:11 pm     Kemper

I’ve heard some great things bout the AXE. I considered one. I’ve talked to different guitar players and they say the effects are better in the AXE but overall the tone is better int the Kemper.
I really like playing different amps that I profile myself.
Whatever you put in is what comes out.
Then there’s the amp share on the website that’s free. I can download from there for free and then tweak what ever I download.

Dan

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 1:19 pm    

My impression is that there are more touring pros that use the Axe FX. Mostly six stringers.

My impression is that the Kemper does profiles, and that the Axe FX does models. However, I may be wrong on that.

A while back I got on some interwebs discussion about this, and there were some posts that claim that the Axe FX will also do profiles. I forget where I saw this.

My gut tells me that if you are interested in the actual amp sounds, that the Kemper is better and/or easier.
If you are a six stringer, and especially use more effects, the Axe FX is worth a look.

A general statement: Six stringers use more effects and types that PSG'ers. PSG usually is confined pretty much to reverb, delay and maybe chorus/flange.

And FWIW, I'd assume that there are places out there where you could buy amp models for the Axe FX that people have created that sound pretty darn good.

Danny Bentley

Hendersonville Tn
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 9:58 pm     Kemper

I use delay, reverb, rotary, some phaser, overdrive and distortion.
Also use compressor. Different things for different gigs.
I’m sure I could be happy with either unit.
I play good enough to get fired!

Dan