The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  12 string tuning
Robert Rogers

Manchester,TN
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 9:42 am    

Can anybody tell me about the 12 string extended e9th tuning?How it's tuned etc....I am thinking about buying
A 12 string on double frame guitar.Everybody that knows me knows that I've always played a 10 string.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 11:39 am    

Same as a regular 10 string with the addition of a G# and E string in the 11 and 12 string positions. Raise the G# to A on the B pedal, and raise and lower the E on the same lever as the other E strings. There will be some variations posted here.

I'm waiting on the delivery of a Mullen SD12. I also am a 10 string player and want to switch to a 12.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 11:44 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
There will be some variations posted here.

...such as instead of raising 12 to E# with the other Es, lower it to C#.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 12:05 pm    

Ian Rae wrote:
Richard Sinkler wrote:
There will be some variations posted here.

...such as instead of raising 12 to E# with the other Es, lower it to C#.

Interesting. Might have to try that.

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 12:46 pm    

Ext.E9 is a great tuning! Just ask Earnest Bovine, John McClung, Bill Basset, Chuck Back, and Greg Leisz.

It took me awhile not to accidentally hit the 9th string (D) when I first switched over to 12 strings, but it's the D string that gives the tuning it's true E9 quality IMHO... plus so much more.

I've posted this before, but here's the video I did a few months back about my copedant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJUiMp_I-O0

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 5:30 pm    

Here's my attempt at a universal E9th tuning on a Williams guitar:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Williams%2012%20String%20Keyless/Williams%2012%20String%20Keyless.html

Here's my later attempt at a zero compromise tuning with only 12 strings that covers all of C6, all of E9th, maintains the E9th 9th sting D, extends the E9th tuning (adds low notes), extends the C6 tuning (add the two top chromatic strings), maintains the traditional high G on C6, and has pretty much all the modern changes minus theFranklin pedal:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless/Excel%2012%20String%20Keyless.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Robert Rogers

Manchester,TN
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 9:12 pm    

Thanks guys

Floyd Lowery

Deland, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 5:41 am    

I never play the E string if I'm going to play the D string, so I left the D out of my 12 string tuning. I use a knee lever to drop the E to D when I want a 9th. I also do not have my small E pulled up to F# on a pedal. I have it on a knee so I can pull it in and out when I have my A&B petals down. I did not come up with these ideas by myself. Eddie Long helped me with it. Smile Oh, the 12th string is tuned to a B and I drop it to a low A so when the A&B pedals are down that is a heck of a full A chord.