The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shot Jackson 7 string resonator
Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 4:09 pm    

A good friend of mine has a Shot Jackson, 7 string resonator guitar. It has a serial number, but I forgot to get it. It'a in perfect condition, with original case. The thing that stands out, is how heavy this guitar is. I looked at some past posts, but would like to know any info on this guitar. Thanks Joe

Will Brown

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 4:23 pm     shot jackson

one reason why its a little heavier then others. it probably has a sound well in it which a lot of newer ones don't. Iam old school I like a regular sound well in a dobro good luck with it

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 9:42 pm    

I had a Shot Jackson 7 string with a solid spruce top and no sound well, just posts. I can't remember if there were six or eight posts. It seems he must have experimented with different styles. Andrew Roblin - want to chime in?

Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 5:35 am    

Sure, I'm glad to contribute.

First, I don't know much about dobro or Sho-Bro construction--such as the merits of soundwells v. posts.

But I worked at the Sho-Bud store from about June 1979 until it closed about August 1983, except for Sept-Dec 1979, when I worked on the assembly line at the Sho-Bud pedal steel factory.

When I worked at the Sho-Bud store, Shot, Gene Wooten, Bill Merritt, AJ Nelson and Mike Volz regularly made dobro-style instruments under the names "Sho-Bro," "SJ" and "Slyde."

The Sho-Bro was often a 7-string instrument and was made from bodies and necks manufactured by Gretsch. I don't know if the SJ and Slyde instruments were made from Gretsch material.

Gene Wooten, who played dobro for Wilma Lee Cooper, the Osborne Bros. and Country Gazette, was a VERY well-regarded dobro set-up man. One of his set-up customers was Jerry Douglas. The rest of the Sho-Bud team were also extremely skilled and experienced. So I think it's fair to say they made good instruments.

Shot played Sho-Bro on, I think, all of his recordings under his own name.

Toward the end of the Sho-Bud era, there were more SJ and Slyde instruments. Slyde was a special project of Gene Wooten and Bill Merritt. Gene and Bill continued making Slyde instruments after Sho-Bud closed.

From time to time, customers brought in 6-string Dobros for conversion to Shot's preferred 7-string format. I have one of these, and I like it. It has sound posts.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 8:02 am    

My friend bought this guitar from the original owner in 1970. Don't know how long the original owner had it. I'm not trying to buy it, so have not opened it up. I feel some factor other than the sound well is responsible for the weight.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2017 8:18 am    

I have been around a number of Sho-Bros over the years and I don't recall any of them having sound wells.

They always struck me as being on the heavy side because first of all they are big guitars, and perhaps the wood was a little on the thick side.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 3:55 pm    

The serial number is 2 2172. There is a space between the the two's. I'm not trying to buy the guitar, but my friend is interested in the value if anyone can help. Thanks Joe