The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hawaiian Steel Guitar Info
Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 11:59 am    

Hello Steel Guitar Forum:

Preparing for a few days vacationing in the great state of Hawaii and would love to know where I can go to hear some steel guitar music. I'll be visiting Oahu, the Big Island, and Kauai the last two weeks of this year.

Any information appreciated. It would be fun to take a lesson or two as well, if time permits. Please reply or send me a PM.

Best
Larry Chung
San Francisco, CA

Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 2:10 pm    

Oahu is a focal point for Hawaiian Steel. Monday evenings at Dot's up in Wahiawa features the Bobby Ingano Trio (Bobby is one of the greatest Hawaiian steelers). Greg Sardinha plays at the Honolulu Airport most afternoons. You should get hold of Alan Akaka, via his school, Ke Kula Mele - http://www.kekulamele.com/. Call him. He's a great guy, and he pushes for Hawaiian Steel. On the Big Island, look up Kona Bob Stoffer, another great guy and Hawaiian steeler who knows what's going on there.
Rickenbacher B6
3 Resonator guitars
Asher Alan Akaka Special SN 6
Canopus D8

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 3:33 pm    

On Kauai in Kapaa, the Hukilau has Jess Montgomery on Thur pm, other Hawaiian players every nite, slack key other steelers...the West Side Brewery has a steel based band..various Luaus.., major Resort Hotels... Aloha Larry Very Happy

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2017 11:15 pm    

Thank you, Jack and Larry, for these excellent suggestions. Please keep the information coming, any of you who have been to Hawaii recently. I'm getting excited about meeting some of these legends soon.

Best,
LC

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 9:42 am    

Larry, we vacationed in Oahu a year ago and had a wonderful Monday evening at Dot's in Wahiawa Town with Bobby Ingano. You definitely want to pencil this in to your itinerary.

Last edited by Mark Eaton on 14 Dec 2017 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Chung

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 2:51 pm    

Thanks, Mark, I would love to see Bobby play and have a chance to meet him, too.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2017 4:26 pm    

Larry, as far as Alan Akaka playing around Honolulu, make sure you contact him via Facebook or his email. The schedule on his website is outdated.

Check this out - I was all set in my trip a year ago to see him and his group play at the Waikiki Marriott Resort, he had a regular gig there on Thursday evenings for 20 years - and the Marriott informed him that his services were no longer needed - his final gig was the week prior to us going to Oahu. What are the odds!

Here is something for you to do if you're on the Big Island on a Wednesday on the Hilo side. The Farmer's Market and Uncle Robert's in Kalapana, about an hour from Hilo.

I haven't been to the Big Island in a long time but my son has done a couple stints of living there totaling several years. He's a fine guitar player and he told me the musicians are great. Sometimes a steel player will show up and play.

He told me if you go ask for the Hawaiian nachos and the people there will know what you're talking about.

Another cool place is the Hilo Tavern.

I got back a month ago from a nice week in Puerto Vallarta, but posting and reading in this thread has me jonesin' for Hawaii. Damn!