Author Topic:  Sara Jory
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 2:48 pm    

Sara is a great steel player!

Last edited by Brian Henry on 7 May 2019 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 3:45 pm    

Not sure I follow, but I'm guessing you mean facial gestures? I don't know the answer, but as soon as I can play as well as she does, I'll ask her.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 4:46 pm    

Maybe she's related to Alvin Lee.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 5:42 pm     Re: Sara Jory

Brian Henry wrote:
Sara is a great steel guitarist, but why all the constipation theatrics?

I know what you mean...some folks enjoy all that, but I'm personally not into it. I suppose she really "feels" the music, and that is her way of expressing.

She is an awesome multi-instrumentalist!

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 5:59 pm    

Adding emotion to your playing is a good thing, she's an awesome musician and expresses her feelings physically, I'm all for it. Check out most epic music video's on YouTube, all great musicians express themselves physically along with their playing.
Been playing for many years and have learned, when singing especially, if I emote it comes out much better.
I guess she didn't get the rule book on how you're supposed to control your emotions while playing music.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 7:12 pm    

Last edited by Damir Besic on 11 Oct 2017 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 7:13 pm    

I guess player I always enjoyed watching was Buddy, he was always smiling, laughing, and you could see he was totally in control of the instrument, and having fun with it... very entertaining... not sure bout Sara, never really watched her play...but most steel players look so serious while playing, like its a matter of life or death lol ...

Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 8:30 pm    

Damir Besic wrote:
I guess player I always enjoyed watching was Buddy, he was always smiling, laughing, and you could see he was totally in control of the instrument, and having fun with it... very entertaining...

Yes, nothin' like Buddy smiling! One of my favorites is Once Upon a Time in the West. I love the way the other musicians are watching Buddy, with such reverence and respect. Buddy is darned pleases with himself at the end!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXdPDrCXMdg

It's worth noting that Buddy is watching the fretboard until the end. Then we get that "Big-E smile!"

Raising The Dickens:

A lot of electric guitar players really "get into it," and the facial expressions are part of the performance. I think Sarah Jory is doing the same thing, it's just her way of being in the zone. I don't know how she does it without making mistakes. I guess she's rehearsed a few times.

Some folks might not dig it. I get it. Just close your eyes and listen to her. She's an awesome player, great performer.

Check it out... how do you like her now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuI23wEa8Bg

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 12:07 am    

I know that, as a guitar player, I was always a little self conscious about what my face, along with the rest of my body as I was always standing, was doing: I was always biting my lip and wincing and so on. It was involuntary and I couldn't control it. I don't know if his is the case with Ms. Jory, but, she sure does rip it up either way.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 3:48 am    

I wish I was so in control of my hands and feet to allow myself to not be so serious when I play. For that I envy Sarah Jory, she makes it look easy, which we ALL know it is not!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Gary Cosden

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 4:07 am    

She is simply being herself. The world could easily use a lot more like Sarah.

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 5:24 am    

For more excitement, watch Zane King play a few of his songs.
I think he can add more expressions than Sarah at times. Laughing

Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 6:37 am    

Yeah I guess Sarah didn't read the owners manual where it says you are supposed to sit stone-faced when playing pedal steel, preferably while playing a bad version of "Way to Survive" in a VFW somewhere. Thank goodness she didn't. She's a fabulous player and a true entertainer.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 6:45 am    

Carl Kilmer wrote:
For more excitement, watch Zane King play a few of his songs.
I think he can add more expressions than Sarah at times. Laughing

... or Joe Wright! LOL!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 6:54 am    

If you think she is forcing the look on her face, think again.

I am a pillar on stage, or a potted plant if I'm on steel. The few times people have said I looked like I was enjoying myself were those fleeting moments when my playing and the band as a whole have really sounded good.

It is quite possible that Sara Jory gets that feeling all the time. It's the Carlos Santana "perfect note" thing, and there is really no need to fake the look. You just can't help it.

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 8:18 am    

Joe Wright! He's one of the most entertaining steel players ever! Funny and brilliant! Best version of J.B. Goode I've ever heard, including regular guitar players!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 8:21 am    

I'll have what she's having... Wink

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 15 Oct 2017 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 8:46 am     Re: Sara Jory

Brian Henry wrote:
Sara is a great steel guitarist, but why all the constipation theatrics?

I thought this remark was terribly rude. You see players of many instruments make facial expressions while playing. This is overly abundant with rock players. Even in country you see a lot of this behavior, especially the newer country.

Lighten up.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 10:23 am    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Fred Treece wrote:
If you think she is forcing the look on her face, think again.

Just once, I'd like to see my wife make one of those faces... Whoa! Embarassed Whoa!

Leave the lights on, Jim Cool

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 11:09 am    

No one is saying that we should sit stone-faced while we play. That's the other extreme. But there is a line between honest, heartfelt expression and overblown theatrics. Viewers may differ on where that line is. Personally, I tend to agree with the original post. There are some players that I just can not watch. Some great players... but the gratuitous, rock star gestures and expressions really detract from the performance IMO. There's a taint of ego in it. Sometimes that adds to a performance, sometimes it detracts. For example, I like Tommy Emmanuel's playing a lot, but I have a hard time watching him play. Just my opinion. Flame away. Cool

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 11:26 am    

I think it's helpful for the steel player to gyrate when he or she plays, so the audience (and cameraman) can figure out where that sound is coming from. Cool

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 11:57 am    

Nah, that wouldn't do it, Jim. They would still think the slide player is playing keyboard and the keyboard player is playing slide.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 3:55 pm     Sarah Jory

I was always inspired by her talent and her feeling her music. My wife has told me more then once that I make funny facial expressions when I am really getting into it.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 5:30 pm    

A lot of us look plenty geeky while playing. One guy, who shall remain nameless causes me to burst out laughing while sitting all alone at the computer. He really tries to wrestle the guitar into submission.
Buddy Emmons epitomized cool. He just grinned and spun miracles while everyone sat mesmerized.

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 6:43 pm    

And Buddy laughed the loudest when he made a mistake. He enjoyed what he was doing, as we all should.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.