The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho Bud - Maintenace and parts availability?
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 6:17 am    

I want a S10 or SD10 (LDG). My MSA D10 is really getting heavy. I would also practice more if I had one steel setup at home and a separate gig guitar.

I really like the looks of old Sho Buds. I need to research weight. My first concern is maintenance and parts. I don't know much about guitar mechanics period. Any Models I should avoid? Any tips or advice is welcome. I know I don't want a Maverick.

Should I expect a Sho Bud to be as stable as my MSA. The tuning on my MSA is extremely stable.

I'm in no rush to get a 2nd guitar. I can be patient. Maybe the smart money is to get a modern guitar. But Sho Buds sure look great.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Ed Boyd on 10 Oct 2017 6:24 am; edited 2 times in total

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 6:24 am    

Played Buds in the past Ed and I really liked the early Pro II's. I never tried one but Buddy Charlton always told me "stay away from the Crossovers". Said there were problems with them. So I never did therefore can't explain further. Might check with Ricky Davis here on the Forum. He is the man to go to for Sho Bud questions.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 6:51 am    

Ed,Unless you can get a hold of a Ricky Davis Sho-Bud you should check out Jeff Surratt'S Sho- Pro guitars like the ultimate better Sho-Bud!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 8:55 am    

If you're looking to save weight, I don't know if you'll get much relief in a Sho-Bud.

Certainly not "Sho-Buddish", but many of the recent "fly" guitars such as BMI, Mullen Discovery, Pro-Lite, Encore are much more tote friendly.

For beautiful lacquer cabinetry in a lighter weight compact guitar etc., Williams guitars are hard to beat.

There's a Encore currently listed in the classifieds...one must move quickly though, they don't last long.

Oh yeah, your question concerning parts, etc...I know it depends on the model of 'Bud, but Michael @ www.psgparts.com supplies many parts for Sho-Bud's.

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 10:22 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Ed,Unless you can get a hold of a Ricky Davis Sho-Bud you should check out Jeff Surratt'S Sho- Pro guitars like the ultimate better Sho-Bud!

Thanks. I've been looking at those Sho Pro guitars. I problem is all the finishes look so good and can't decide which color I would want. Very Happy

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 10:24 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
If you're looking to save weight, I don't know if you'll get much relief in a Sho-Bud.

Certainly not "Sho-Buddish", but many of the recent "fly" guitars such as BMI, Mullen Discovery, Pro-Lite, Encore are much more tote friendly.

For beautiful lacquer cabinetry in a lighter weight compact guitar etc., Williams guitars are hard to beat.

There's a Encore currently listed in the classifieds...one must move quickly though, they don't last long.

Oh yeah, your question concerning parts, etc...I know it depends on the model of 'Bud, but Michael @ www.psgparts.com supplies many parts for Sho-Bud's.

Thanks a lot Jerry. I should probably try the Mullen. There is a Mullen dealer within 30 minutes of my house. I've never been there. It would be nice to be able to shop local.

Joe Ribaudo

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 1:14 pm    

Double that on the weight issue..
I threw my back out just removing my D10 Super Pro from the shipping box when I first got it.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 5:10 am    

Yeah if you want that Sho-Bud sound you need a strong back. But they are worth it. Ed try to score a round front with the wide pedals, the 2 up 1 down changer and the barrel against the pullers system. These guitars sound the best.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2017 8:01 am    

Joe Ribaudo wrote:
Double that on the weight issue..
I threw my back out just removing my D10 Super Pro from the shipping box when I first got it.

And I consider the Super-Pro a lighter guitar. I believe it was lighter than the Kline keyless I had at the same time. It felt lighter than my Carter that I bought at the same time. Of course my Carter has 9p/9k.

If you want light, don't go with the Buds with rack and barrel, or even the 2 hole pullers. Those are fairly heavy. But they do sound great.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 12:34 pm    

If you want a Bud, get a Bud. If you want to lighten the load, get a set of split cases.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 4:05 pm     Split Cases

Been a Bud player for about 35 years. I have a Super Pro and haul it in splt cases by Wade Thomas. I also own a Mullen Discovery, which is a pro steel and light. I am a full blown Bud lover.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 4:25 pm    

Ed, here are two guitars for sale on the forum here. Both are excellent models and under $2,000.00.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322324

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=322334

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2017 6:10 pm    

if you want a Sho~Bud tone, get a Sho~Bud...if you want a light Sho~Bud get a Pro l , those are awesome, great sounding guitars, and very light..if you want to go even lighter get a Pro l and split cases .... now, it really can't get any lighter then that...

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2017 8:57 am    

. . speaking of Pro 1's, does anybody know of anyone making custom leather palm rests? One that would fit the skinny ledge on a Pro 1?
A couple sources showed up in the search engine, but they were old and had disconnected phone numbers.

Brian Mattias

Exeter, Rhode Island, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2017 6:48 pm    

I have a '78 LDG and the tuning is VERY stable.
Bach Trumpet, piano, Hammond A-100