The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Chords , scales and whatever
Russell Adkins

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 4:40 pm    

I recently ran across a computer program called Glissando which helps you to learn chords and scales on your pedal steel , just wondering if anyone has ever used it and whatcha think about it . I also have a chord and scale book from hal Leonard (pedal steel chords and scales ) wnich shows where these scales and chords are located on the e9 neck , Glissando has both e9 and c6 necks , anyone got any comments on these two sources? I suppose all the modes could be learnt with these also which would be an added bonus dont ya think and possibility of different sounds would be astounding , anyone got any comments ?

Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2017 6:56 am    

I used the Hal Leonard book a lot. Basically I have a good ear. I play some guitar and I am a keyboard player by trade. I started out listening to songs and charting out the chords. Then I would use the Leonard book to find the chords and decide which positions/voicing were best. Soon a lot of it becomes pattern recognition and you just catch on to how things are done. But I still use the book when I hear extension chords I don't have imprinted in my memory.

It is a good chord scale dictionary. It won't teach you how to play but if you already play another instrument at a fairly accomplished level a chord and scale dictionary is really handy and gets you playing songs fast.

My favorite book so far is still Pedal Steel Guitar by Winnie Winston.