The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6th single neck ...recommendations ?
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 9:29 am    

I have been down this road before, but consider getting a single neck steel for use with c6th pedal. I know i would have to have pedals added, but wondered wht brand instrument would be the easiest to do this. I guess it doesnt matter too much as i would pay to have the work done, so possibly the best question to ask is which instrument would be the easiest to find parts for. I would buy a used steel either sd10 or s10. Thanks
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 10:49 am    

Fred Justice can build you an absolutely beautiful new one. Probably Gary Rittenberry and the Williams crew as well.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 11:14 am    

Any thoughts on pedal placement for an S10 C6? Would you slide everything left so you have P1 - P5 or would you leave it set up like a D10 with P4 - P8?

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 11:33 am    

From my perspective i would have them on the left, but dont know if that matters mechanically. I talked to fred about it at one point...i know he could build a great one....that might be the way to go....since i would have the expense of the steel, plus parts plus labor if i had the conversion done on an existing single neck.
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 12:07 pm    

I bet the Mullen Discovery would be a great choice for C6. Available with 5 kl's and I know they can add up to 4 pedals, not sure about 5, but if so that would make a nice compact slick single neck C6 machine.

They're doing lots of business and will be around for a long time for service and parts.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 5:15 pm    

I'd want the pedals in the center for double footing.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 5:22 pm    

I am wondering if an old fender 1000 would work for my purposes

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 12:14 pm    

I had and old Shobud Baldwin the had 6 pedals in the middle and two levers. Was C6th when I got it. Great-sounding guitar!
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 1:33 pm    

Personally, I think an old MSA S10 Wood /Lacquer would make a great C6 guitar.. Many of them came factory with 5&4,, If you find a 3&4 instead, pedals are cheap and available anywhere, and you can fit up to 10 on the stock MSA pedal rack..

Great guitar , bulletproof, easy to set up, great tone, and cheap.. thats what i would buy for a good C6 S10... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 2:12 pm    

Thanks John,,,I had heard that particular ShoBud was a good choice for C6th, but hard to find. Thanks Bob for the heads up on the MSA...that does make sense...I am trying to stay open minded and I like that suggestion.

colin mcintosh

Australia
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 3:52 pm    

Have you considered a U12? Most are 7x5 already setup and you have the B6th with the C6th G and D on the top end. There are a couple on the Forum FS page as we speak. Plus E9th is there as well if you need it.

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 8:10 am    

I know this isn't what you're asking for, but the post above made me want to ask - if you're looking for a single neck 6th based tuning, Bb6 is a great way to go. It can have all the U12 type advantages with an open tuning that has the feel of C6.

I love it.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 8:39 am    

Christopher Woitach wrote:
I know this isn't what you're asking for, but the post above made me want to ask - if you're looking for a single neck 6th based tuning, Bb6 is a great way to go. It can have all the U12 type advantages with an open tuning that has the feel of C6.

I love it.

Thanks for that input...I really hadnt thought about a U12 or using Bb6...I had thought of A6 since that is my go to tuning on lap steel...but I dont know if that tuning would work on a pedal steel or not...lots of things to thing about...I am not in a big hurry...just thinking about the single neck to cut down weight of a D10...I currently have the Stage One for my E9th, but dont have a C6th-ish pedal steel, and I like playing it, but I dont want to put a lot of money into it either...thanks for all of the thoughts guys...the more info I can gather, the better decision I can make...I hope !!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:34 pm    

I am in the process of rebuilding a Cougar S10. It has 5 pedal and 4 knee levers. It is a single wide neck but has some clips on the back apron for attaching an arm rest pad,,very neat. It is black mica and very light weight (around 27 lbs,,,case weighs more than guitar!). Anyone interest can contact me BEFORE I start "rodding" it for their own copedent. It will be in the $1400 range.

John Wilson

Ventura, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 6:54 am     Mullen is always a good choice

Built well, parts available, great sound, easy to work on. Plus a ton of folks here play them and can advise if you have any setup questions.
I have a PRP S10 I purchased from Mickey and with a modified Beck/King tuning (E6/9) I can get everything I need.
Total keeper setup!

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 11:04 am    

I had mitsuo Fuji make me an excel e9/C6 that you switched with a lever. It was light, played and sounded great, and I practiced hard on it for a year, but couldn't ever get used to the 12 (vs. 10) string feel. Maybe an option too?

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 1:15 pm    

Larry Lenhart wrote:
I had thought of A6 since that is my go to tuning on lap steel...but I dont know if that tuning would work on a pedal steel or not...

A local player, Mars Case, went with A6 on the back neck when he switched from console to pedal. Just tuned down 3.
MSA D10, loaded up with levers, sounded really good and powerful.

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 2:03 pm    

Thanks Rich for that input...good information. I am still trolling and trying to decide what I want to do.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 1:58 pm    

I am selling an Emmons S10 C6th push-pull. It's in the "For Sale" section.