The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Stereo Steel system
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:14 am    

Hello, can anyone share their thoughts about the Stereo Steel amp system from JD Walker Electronics. I'm currently playing through a Nashville 112 and I hate it. Really dry colorless sound no depth and even with a delay pedal it stinks. Stereo Steel seems awesome. Who ever has one could you share some thoughts please.

Thank you.
Chuck

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:25 am    

A few questions.

1) What is your signal chain between guitar and amp?

2) What delay did you try?

3) Did you try a chorus and/or flanger yet?

4) Do you have another/second amp available?
(Not only to try a different amp, but to possibly try a stereo set up without buying a whole new rig.)

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:31 am    

You'll love it

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:47 am    

My review of the Walker Stereo Steel:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Walker%20Stereo%20Steel/Walker%20Stereo%20Steel.html

There's a lot of fine amps out there that IMHO will blow away the Nashville 112. Depending on the features you want and the cost you can go with a Nashville 400 with factory mod, Telonics TCA-500, Walker Stereo Steel or even the new Peavey amp with dual cabinets in stereo! With a Telonics rack mount system I believe you can also go in stereo. If you are considering the Walker system, be sure sure to decide which speakers (JBL/Peavey/etc) and cabinets (open/closed back) will get you closest to your desired sound. Another great option would be a used Webb 6-14E.

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 28 Aug 2018 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 9:50 am     Stereo Steel

I have a Stereo Steel and love it. It has no reverb, so I use a wet Reverb stomp box, which is the best reverb I have ever heard. I have a cabinet with a Travis Toy TT-12 speaker. I use it mono only because the places I I play, don't have room to spread out two speakers.I went through two 112's, even had the Ken Fox chips upgrade and speaker upgrade on one. 112's are not for me. I have a Katana 100 watt head only, and it is right up there with the Stereo Steel, plus the Katana has great reverb. Not as good as my Wet Reverb, but still best amp reverb I have heard. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either one.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 10:24 am    

What Kevin said.

After I got a SS with closed back JBLs, I stopped looking at other steel amps. I'm 100% satisfied with the lush sound, weight, and flexibility. The multiple convenience features are icing in the cake.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 10:31 am    

I completely agree with Kevin and Tom. Great gear, great customer service.

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 10:52 am    

I had a SS for years, and sold it to try something else, but bought another one a month later, and will not sell this one.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 1:56 pm    

Hi Chuck:

I sent you an e-mail.

I agree with the positive comments regarding the Stereo Steel. I ordered mine from GD Walker in 2002. It has served me perfectly in all ways since the day I received it.

Chris "Tiny" O.

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2018 7:31 pm     SE-200 Evans

Some like Chevy, some like Ford, some like ZumSteel, some like Emmons. Just my humble opinion in this vast selection of amps we have, is the SE-200 EVANS. I have never had an amp I like any better for any location, venue, or event. I have owned all previously mentioned amps and all of them have their good qualities, but for me nothing gives it all to you like the SE-200 EVANS.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 4:04 am     Stereo Steel

Alan, I agree with you on Evans amps. I bought an FET-500 new in 1985 and played it for over 20 years. It had to be repaired 3 times in a year, so I decided it was just worn out and sold it. I think it was a mistake. It would probably still be going.

I have gone to a rack system and have been thinking about an Evans rack mount pre-amp. I am assuming that it is the same pre-amp that is in the SE-200. Have you had any experience with the rack mount pre-amp or opinion?

ing.

John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 2:43 pm    

I don't know, but just a comment though, I had a post on which part of our gear has the most influence on that ultimate tone that we seek. Is it amp, guitar, pickup, but surprising to me the majority of the comments suggested the guitar being the most important. And if I had to say one thing I love this instrument, but at the same time you could go broke buying various guitars, amps, effects etc. and never reach the ultimate tone.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2018 4:29 pm    

A few thoughts on the Stereo Steel - I bought an older, used on cheap from here on the forum about 3 years ago and am totally happy. My only problem is I may be returning to the Philippines in a few months, and they are 220 - the Walker, as far as I know, only works on 110. And getting the amp there would be difficult.

As for tone - my understanding is GD liked the sound he got from his Peavey Session 400, so the SS is based on that tone stack, but with all the stuff he wanted - separate speaker cabs and stereo being the main examples. So, if you have a chance to try a Session 400, that will give you an idea of the basic tone of the amp.

You can hear the amp compared to some other amps in this video, put up by Travis Toy:

https://youtu.be/R0b7qUPPKwI

The stereo Steel comes in about 1/2-way through. You have to listen close as they tell you what each setup is.

At the end, they use a Telonics amp, which has a very different tone - but their is also a different player - so not sure how much is the amp, and how much is the player.

I think the Stereo Steel has a rather bright, snappy, "West Coast" tone compared to other amps I've used, and I hear that as well in the shootout. You can also hear how different speakers change the tone of the same amp. Even the speaker cab style can change the tone.

One other video to check out is Lane Gray's amp comparison - he does not have a Stereo Steel, but he does have a Session 400. Again, you can hear the bright, crisp highs this amp, like the SS, produces compared to the Milkman. The Milkman (and the Telonics in the first video) have what I think of as more of a modern tone.

https://youtu.be/uBpSbKqCFmA

Prior to the Stereo Steel, I used an G-K MB 200. It was not bad, but I was always trying to get a bit more of a classic steel tone out of it, and was often using amp sims to get closer. The day I plugged in the Stereo Steel, I had what I thought was excellent tone before I even touched a knob. Tweaking only improved it. No amp sims needed - in fact, the detracted from the sound.

I would love to be able to get the tone of the Telonics amp in the first video when I play (butcher?) jazz C6, and the Stereo Steel tone for E9 and Western Swing and country on C6. No amp can do it all, I guess (the Kemper fans will say different). But I'm pretty happy with my Stereo Steel, and at the price I paid, it's great! I don't have $2500 for a Telonics or a Kemper. And if I did, probably I'd be the only one who noticed the difference, assuming even I did!

So, if you like a traditional, bright, West Coast tone, the SS gives you a lot of bang for the buck.

Also - I only have the amp. I have a few home-made open-back speaker cabs I use with it.