The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Leg Muscle Cramps
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 7:18 am    

I have occasional leg cramps on my left (pedal) leg as well and frequently end up playing w/o using the pedals for a bit. At night when I sometimes get them I rub soap on the bottom of my foot and w/in 5 minutes no more cramp.

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2017 4:52 pm    

I've had those leg cramps from time to time, but what also bothered me was what they call "restless leg syndrome", or as I call it,"leg twitching", so I researched on the the web and found that dehydration can trigger it.
I try to stay hydrated and haven't felt a peep in over ten years.
If that kind of thing happens again, I'll try the mustard.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 2:53 am     Leg Cramps

Like Sonny wrote, I've had severe leg cramps for well over 20 years and looked high and low for a remedy. Mustard, plain old mustard and it works like Sonny said, instantly. I have a friend in Lufkin, Texas that I told about the mustard cure and he laughed at me at first and now even has his wife using mustard for her hand cramps.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 7:40 pm    

My inner... little screamy thing (the one that screams at me innards) is telling me that a "mustard deficiency" is not, actually, some massive, under-diagnosed sneaky herby kind of thing -

A Nation in Crisis, Cause Baby I was BORN this way...(?)...(!)

Rather, that the mustard is, if done right, a shocking, harsh "taste treat" that loosens up some mucus which then also somehow greases your muscles? Or even, perhaps, reaches down to a primevil fight-or-flight response, as in, "Get me AWAY from this lunatic with the mustard already!" Umm, does this work better the more zippy the mustard? Or the bigger the spoonful, the quicker the cramp removal? Shocked Because otherwise, this is really weird.

Like, how hiccups are caused and cured? They're caused by too much oxygen in proportion to carbon dioxide in your blood, so the fastest non-gimmick cure is to just exhale, then HOLD IT OUT... longer, longer (might wanna sit down, I sure do). Every once in a while you even need to "starve" your oxygen for a couple of breaths. But that's IT, and all the elaborate stuff, jumping up stairs while holding your breath, or telling someone to scare you, etc. are just doing the same thing in a roundabout, more entertaining way. Smile I'll bet you could try snorting a couple big ol' PILES of dry mustard powder, that would certainly... well by the time you got sorted back out from that, cramps would probably be pretty low on your list of problems. Or even better, mix it 50/50 with cayenne pepper, and lots of it! That'll surely cure almost everything, Go Get'm Champ! Or at least it ought to cure you, do let us know, plz? Very Happy I'll even buy you the razor blade if b0b will pay for the emergency room.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2017 8:18 pm    

I'm pretty sure it's not a mustard deficiency David however there may be something in mustard preps that affects ionic intracellular transport as tons of things do that. I've rationalized that as why soap on the bottoms of feet works too (it really does!)- sodium hydroxide being a common component of most soaps and sodium and potassium are quite involved in active transport in cellular function. Using the same logic salt water should work (not sure if it does or doesn't) but perhaps there is something in soap that aids in getting it absorbed?

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 3:23 am    

Interesting solution, Jim.

Pickle juice was being touted for cramps during the Tour de France. Maybe it works the same way.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 7:32 am     Leg Cramps

I would suggest that those who do not believe in the use of mustard for leg cramps to try it and then come back and let the members hear if it worked or not. The proof is in the pudding, oops excuse me, the mustard and the results of taking a big spoonful, swallow it and chase it with a beverage of your choice and reply to the Forum. Thank you David for your interest in the article.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 8:04 am    

Being a person who has an intense NEED for knowing "how" or "why" something works,,,I have to say,,,when someone has the kind of leg cramps we're talking about,,,and you take the spoonful of mustard,,,you really just don't give a s**t how!!!,,,,just,,"now it don't hurt no more". Like Joe says,,,just try it,,,then go back to bed and go to sleep.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 11:06 am    

I try to eat a banana each day and stay hydrated. When I fall out of that habit, leg cramps tend to come back.

Bill McKillop

Glasgow, Scotland
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 3:54 pm     Leg cramps

Do you take Statins? They're known to cause cramps. I agree tha water is a great cure.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2017 6:40 pm    

I quit drinking (alcohol) too far back to matter, but large quantaties of "juice" definitely does the fritzies on your water-retention gene too (skipping a few steps). Maybe we could draft a researcher? Like Saturday night drink a case of beer and a fifth of whisky, then get up early Sunday and stomp your "A" pedal for four hours.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 7:41 am    

Here is an interesting read.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2017 9:25 am    

Jim Palenscar wrote:
Here is an interesting read.

I ran across that one, too.

Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2017 8:41 pm    

I have to go along with Tommy Alexander. Since I discovered Hylands Leg Cramp pills I don't have a problem with cramps in my legs or hands.

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 6:58 am    

I have to say Thank You to Sonny Jenkins on this one...!!!

I don't get leg cramps every night but when I do, they're really bad. I especially get them when I've spent the day on the front deck of my bass boat, standing with one foot on the deck and one on the trolling motor pedal while fishing. My boat has a recessed well for the TM pedal which makes it much more comfortable. I drink plenty of water while out on the boat and eat a banana afterwards,,, but the leg cramps may still come that evening.

The mustard has worked just like Sonny said... every time and very quickly. I don't know why either, but I don't care 'cause it works.

Thanks again Sonny..!!

Chris "Tiny" O.

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2017 9:28 pm    

I would get leg cramps till I could hardly stand them. Then they really started hurting. I began to get hand cramps too, when I touched something cold. The thing called leg cramps from Walmart really helped. Then I had a liver transplant. No cramps afterward. Never had a one. While I do not recommend having a transplant, try the pills. Take them before you have a problem. They helped me.

Sandy Carter

Edmonds, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2023 1:25 pm     Muscle cramps

Hello, I’ve found that elevating my heel on the left foot is helpful. I play in my stocking feet-as I tend to make mistakes in shoes and boots. I’d been having problems with cramps in my shin muscles-since I was always pointing my foot up. So, I now use a simple gardening pad under my left heel. This elevates the foot to the same height as my volume pedal foot, and my orientation is level to my pedal surfaces. All the advice regarding diet, stretching, and massage is very helpful as well. Fun getting old!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2023 2:39 pm    

I've become an expert regarding cramping.

I have three hemodialysis sessions of 3.5 hours each every week (MWF). Dialysis' purpose is to replicate kidney function for just the time that I'm hooked up in the chair. That means processing fluids and cleansing the blood of toxins that are normally flushed out by a healthy pair of kidneys.

They have established a 'dry weight' for me - that is, my actual body weight without any excess fluid. Theoretically, when I leave after dialysis, all fluids that I retained since the previous treatment have been removed.

Here's the problem. If I gain actual body-weight over a weekend, my weight upon arrival at the clinic will include all that fluid that my body couldn't pass in the time-honoured way and my body weight. If they see I've gained 2.9 kilos, that's what they set the machine to remove.

Supposing, though, that fluid only accounts for 2.4 kgs? When that occurs, my left calf goes into spasm. A cry for help summons instant relief: they shut off the fluid-removal factor and, in fact, drip a little saline back into my bloodstream.

This is a long-winded way of supporting the 'drink water' argument. It can also be low potassium (a banana will help that), but dehydration is surely the commonest cause.

I always have my heart in my mouth upon arrival at the clinic: first thing? Step on the scales. I am ALWAYS at least a couple of pounds heavier after just two days without kidneys, effectively.

Get your GFR and creatinine checked, please. Believe me, you don't want the routine I'm resigned to for life. GFR is simply a percentage of kidney-function. The nearer to 100 you are, the better. Mine is currently 8.

Joe Rouse

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2023 3:54 pm     Mustard or Pickle Juice

My muscle cramps are still with me after all this time. I had been told about pickle juice a long time ago but do not really care for pickles I did not have pickles around so upon the advice from a family friend I tried pickle juice and it works great. I now buy it by the gallon through Amazon and it works great, faster I believe than mustard. I still have my mustard in the refrigerator and a spare in the pantry but am using about 2 oz. per night of the pickle juice. Whatever you like.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2023 4:52 pm    

I just recently found out that our grocery store sells "Pickle Juice Liquid Electrolyte Shots" that are popular with runners. WalMart sells a similar product.

The bottles are small and one could be stored in a pac-a-seat.

At home, I have treated bad cramps with a couple of tablespoons of dill pickle juice from the jar in the fridge. It does work.

~Lee

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2023 9:44 pm    

I used to have extremely painful leg cramps several times a week. I started taking a daily magnesium supplement (250 mg) and the frequency has gone down to less than once a month. Check with a doctor before starting this regimen, as supplemental magnesium is not recommended for people with kidney problems, or when taking certain other medications.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 8:17 am    

That's really bananas, Donny.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 8:19 am    

Magnesium... I meant.. in bananas..

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2023 9:53 am    

Bananas are a lot like corn, mostly all cob. Laughing