The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Don't You Ever Get Tired"-Mo Pitney-Mike Johnson Break
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2020 3:59 pm    

Here's a video of Mo Pitney singing "Don't You Ever Get Tired Of Hurting Me". It's from the Country's Family Reunion "Tribute To Ray Price" Show. Here's a look at Mike Johnson's break which starts at 1:56. Mike is one of the best in the business at backing a singer.

Note: Mike's "G Lever" raises string 1 a full tone and string 2 a half tone but doesn't lower string 6 a full tone (like mine!). If your G lever lowers 6 a full tone you can use a slant at the end of page 1, line 1 in the tab to hold the 3B on string 6 while slanting on string 1 to raise from 3 to 5 and lowering back to 3.

Questions, comments and corrections always welcome...I know there are several places to get the same sounds on the neck Smile

Here it is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82jLVBy5IY

Andy Henriksen

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2020 6:16 am    

That video has been making the rounds lately, and I...well...never get tired of watching it. It's so absolutely perfect, and that steel break is as tasty and emotive as it gets. I think I'll have to give this a shot.

Thanks so much, Jeff!

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 9:56 am     Re:

Jeff Garden wrote:
Here's a video of Mo Pitney singing "Don't You Ever Get Tired Of Hurting Me". It's from the Country's Family Reunion "Tribute To Ray Price" Show. Here's a look at Mike Johnson's break which starts at 1:56. Mike is one of the best in the business at backing a singer.

Note: Mike's "G Lever" raises string 1 a full tone and string 2 a half tone but doesn't lower string 6 a full tone (like mine!). If your G lever lowers 6 a full tone you can use a slant at the end of page 1, line 1 in the tab to hold the 3B on string 6 while slanting on string 1 to raise from 3 to 5 and lowering back to 3.

Questions, comments and corrections always welcome...I know there are several places to get the same sounds on the neck Smile

Here it is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82jLVBy5IY

Jeff,

Great job! The only thing I think is different is the beginning lick. I think he uses his E lower in conjunction with the C# A pedal to do the lick. He slides from the 8th fret A pedal down on the 5th string to the 6th fret with the 4th string lowered to make the major 2nd interval and then slides to the 5th and releases the E lever. It's a super cool move and I've seen him use this a few times. Try it and let me know what you think.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2020 4:53 pm    

Hey Rick,
Any chance you could tab that out? I'm not quite following it. Are you only picking the 5th string (with A pedal down) at the 8th fret, then letting it ring while sliding down to the 6th fret (A pedal still down), then picking the 4th string with the E lowered at the 6th fret, and now with both 4th and 5th strings ringing, slide down to the 5th fret while releasing the E lower (leave A pedal engaged)?

Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2020 3:37 pm    

Jeff Garden wrote:
Hey Rick,
Any chance you could tab that out? I'm not quite following it. Are you only picking the 5th string (with A pedal down) at the 8th fret, then letting it ring while sliding down to the 6th fret (A pedal still down), then picking the 4th string with the E lowered at the 6th fret, and now with both 4th and 5th strings ringing, slide down to the 5th fret while releasing the E lower (leave A pedal engaged)?

Jeff,

I will try and tab it but it sounds like your description is what I was trying to say. Try and see if I'm crazy. Wink