The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Fox - Texas steel guitarist
Miguel e Smith

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 12:03 pm    

For those of you who knew or remember Jerry Fox (great player who lived in the Dallas area and also in the Midland/Odessa area prior to his death in 2001);

His nephew, Pat Rick (who is a member of the forum) is in the process of publishing a book Jerry wrote before his passing (during his 2nd heart transplant). I first met Jerry when I first took up steel because he was working with Jim Evans (Evans Amps founder) with some of early Evans Amps development. Pat is looking to fill-in some gaps in info for the foreword he'll be writing, both about the pedal steel related info as well as any personal info he can find about Jerry's wife Bonnie (who he believes has since passed herself). He's looking for info about where they buried Jerry or maybe even if he was cremated and where the ashes went.

I knew Jerry to be a real gentleman who was very encouraging to me (and always made me feel as if I was important, even though I didn't know anything whatsoever). If you have any info, stories or experiences with or about Jerry and are willing to share, you can find Pat Rick here on the forum or you can write to Pat at patrickrick@gmail.com

I certainly look forward to reading the completed book as Jerry was definitely someone I looked up to and was a deep well of all things pedal steel guitar. I wish he was still with us here on Planet Earth.

joe long

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 5:00 pm    

I purchased my first p/p from Jerry back in the 70'. It was a rosewood flat back and played it for a very long time before selling it in San Antonio. Big mistake on my part. Sure regret selling it.