The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Change Hard Drive???
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 6:37 am    

I have an old Toshiba lap top that has served me very well over the year,,,in fact I think I remember upgrading (much bigger)the hard drive several years ago. Anyway,,,it will no longer power on,,,maybe the switch itself (normally a blue light comes on the switch but now light does not come on). It has win XP os on it. I also have an older Dell with win XP that is set up with dual boot for Linux. I'm wondering if it would be possible to put the Toshiba hard drive in the Dell,,,I think it is a much bigger hard drive with a lot more of my data on it,,,that I would like to keep. Or, would there be a way (since it won't power up) to get that data onto an external hard drive?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 8:38 am    

You can physically put the hard drive into the drive bay of the Dell, but it probably won't boot the computer. The hardware and drivers are wrong. Each computer make and model has different drivers.

If you want to load Linux onto the Toshiba hard drive, you will need to obtain drivers for the onboard devices. Otherwise, you won't have a modem, or network connection, or audio, etc.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 8:51 am    

One potential issue is the hard drive interface. There are two types PATA (IDE) and SATA. Check which type the Dell has and which type the hard drive is.

If they are not the same, there are adapters to use a PATA drive with SATA. Not sure about the opposite.

To use the drive as the boot drive, you will have to image (back up) the current drive to another drive and then restore that image to the drive you want to use.

If you have an image program such as Acronis or Macrium they will do it. Macrium Reflect has a "free" version but I don't know if it is XP compatible.
https://www.macrium.com/

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 8:54 am    

Thanks Wiz!!! I can't load Linux or anything onto the Toshiba because it will not power on. I will probably take it to a repair place and see if it is just the mechanical switch or something in the os.

Thanks Jack!!! I would definitely need help going that route.

Now that I think of it,,I don't think I upgraded the hard drive,,,,I think I added memory to it. It's probably 12-15 years old,,,but has been very dependable,,,up until now,,,LOL

Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 4:28 pm    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
I don't think I upgraded the hard drive, I think I added memory to it. It's probably 12-15 years old

Wow! That's a LIGHT YEAR in terms of technology.

Good luck with that!

Last edited by Dave Potter on 3 Oct 2017 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2017 5:51 pm    

Sonny;
I would recommend cutting your losses and replacing the computer with a brand new one. Windows XP is way out of support. Your hard drives are old, tired and likely full of bad sectors. A new computer will give you a fresh start.

You will have to reinstall all programs. Some of them may need to be upgraded to the newest version to install into Windows 10. But, their performance will be much faster. Others can be installed using the Windows XP compatibility mode on the setup file.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

winston

Frankfort, Kentucky 40601
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2017 12:33 pm    

Probably too late but you might check your power supply.