The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Volume pedal pots
Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:16 am    

What is the difference between a Dunlop and a Goodrich volume pot if any?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 1:05 pm    

I have installed both the Dunlop and the new(er) Goodrich 470K pots in my vintage Sho-Bud and Emmons pedals. Both sound the same to me. They look nearly identical on the exterior, but my understanding is the Goodrich pot has some improvements over the Dunlop.

Perhaps the Goodrich guys will chime in with the specifics.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 8:11 pm    

They look very similar. The Goodrich has a screw driver slot in the end which really help setting the travel correctly. I don't know if the Goodrich is 470k or 500K. I sell Goodrich but I believe both are very good pots.
Jerry

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 7:01 am    

We found the engineer that developed the pots for Dunlop and, while we were generally happy w the Dunlop pots as far as passing the criteria needed for our application (appropriate taper and passing the "Northern California pot checker test" with flying colors, we needed a longer shaft that was round with a slot in the end in order to facilitate ease of adjustment. He provided that for us and that is currently the pot we use. The electrical characteristics are identical between the two pots. The "Northern California Pot checker test" is based on a piece of equipment that was designed for us by Ross Shafer- designer of the new Sierra pedal steel guitar- that rotates the pot 250,000 cycles/week that we employed at Goodrich in auditioning about 30 different potentiometers in order to avoid the previous pitfalls of the previously used PEC pots that had an unpredictable length of acceptable service life.