The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanks to the HSGA for a great weekend in Fort Collins
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2017 3:37 pm    

I am still on a cloud from hearing all of the great steel playing this past weekend. The venue was great, the hotel was superb, I enjoyed meeting a lot of good people, browsing thru some of the cds and vinyl for sale, and of course hearing Alan Akaka and others play. I am already excited about next years show ! Thanks to the organization for all of the hard work to make it happen...I know its not easy !
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 6:30 am    

Larry - enjoyed meeting you. Not offical, but pencil in 27-29 Sep next year.

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2017 4:26 pm    

On of the most fun ... entertaining ... and instructional HSGA conventions I've ever been to ... Alan A. hung around with everyone ... the Hilton was "top drawer" ... Luau food and show was the best I can remember ... thanks Tony F. And Chris K.

Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2017 11:17 am    

Sorry I didn't get to hang out more, Rick. I'm having some health issues and was laying low when I wasn't working. It was a great convention. I'm just disappointed that no one recorded Alan's workshop.

The morning after you guys went out to the Brazilian restaurant Chris walked into the ballroom and said, "It smells like meat in here!" And he looked a little green.

It was good to see everyone. It's starting to feel more like a family reunion then a music festival, and I mean that in a good way!

Jerry Wagner

California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2017 4:45 pm    

Got to agree with everyone on this. Doesn't it seem like Alan knows just about everyone? No wonder, as he sometimes says "I'm just a shy guy." Riight! His short workshop on playing C6th fills was a hit. Great teacher!

Having the Panua Ohana back again was awesome! Really brought home the family reunion vibe. This was our third year, and one of our absolute favorite music events. Many, many thanks to Tony, Chris, and everyone who pitches in to make this all happen. Not to be missed!

Garry Vanderlinde

CA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2017 9:22 am    

Paul Honeycutt wrote:

The morning after you guys went out to the Brazilian restaurant Chris walked into the ballroom and said, "It smells like meat in here!" And he looked a little green.

At the Brazilian restaurant there was a lot of food. Alan was the last man standing.
And then he ordered dessert. He got two milkshakes!

The Hawaiian Luau band was really tight and Alan's playing was second to none. His rendition of Paradise Isle was incredible.

I am now a full-on Alan Akaka fan.

Alan Akaka

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2017 3:33 am    

I really had a blast at this year’s HSGA convention at Ft. Collins and want to congratulate coordinators Tony Fourcroy and Chris Kennison for a job well done. Thanks Chris for introducing me to the Quilter amps. I’m totally sold on them now. I’ll really that to Pat Quilter. I enjoyed chatting with the attendees and listening to their sweet singing steels. Jamming with Ed Punua, Uncle Vic, Mark Kahalekulu, Phil Swain, Kamaka Tom and many others was a highlight. I also enjoyed spending time with friends at Cracker Barrel (mahalo Gil Ogawa for driving and Kamaka for the treat), Suh Sushi (mahalo Joe Stewart for the treat) and Rodizio Grill (mahalo Tony for the treat). Rick Aiello your 4 string tenor pan was quite intriguing. Loved its tone. Wished I could’ve done justice to it. Many thanks to HSGA president Frank Della-Penna and Ivan Reddington for donating steel guitars to be given to deserving students. I was so happy to see so many of my Skype students at the convention like Marcellus Kitchens from Atlanta who I met in person for the first time. I am proud of what HSGA is doing in promoting and perpetuating the Hawaiian steel guitar and will continue to support the HSGA. Hey, to all those who attended my workshop send me an email and I’ll send you the mp3 backing track for the song we worked on. So until we meet again - ALOHA.