The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  TT-12 speaker: what is most popular cabinet?
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 3:02 pm    

I got a TT-12, (Eminence Travis Toy Double-T 12) and for now I temporarily stuck it into a closed back car subwoofer wedge. What kind of cabinet makes you happy with this speaker? Thanks for your opinions, Glenn

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 3:47 pm    

2x12 cab built by Tommy Huff loaded w/ two TT-12s.

Sounds great! Weighs approximately 30 lbs or so.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 2:20 am    

There's no "right" speaker cabinet for that or any speaker.
Closed or open will work, just what you like.

I have one in an open back cabinet about the size of a Nashville 112 cabinet and it sounds great on E9th (much better than the EPS-12C I tried). To be truthful its "OK" on C6th and hasn't changed since break in. But that's OK we mainly use it with my wife's GFI S-10 (E9th).

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 2:53 am    

Don't own a TT-12 speaker, but I use 12's in cabinets I build myself. If I were looking to buy something, I'd look at the Telonics cabinets. Those appear nicely built with reasonable size and weight. Their speakers are basically the same config. as the TT, so I would imagine that to be a good choice.

There's not a price listed though, so I don't know how economically friendly it is.

Previous sold post w/a TT mounted in one. FWIW. http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=304339&highlight=telonics+speaker+cabinet

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 4:50 am    

The type of material used will also affect the overall
tonal characteristics...plywood vs. solid pine.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 8:29 am    

This might be off topic, but when you build your own closed back cabinet, how do you place sound deafening material inside? All surfaces or just some.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 9:32 am    

Usually just one side of the cabinet, then top or bottom, and the back.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 10:08 am    

I staple in poly-fill on mine. Everywhere but the baffle board.

The idea is to prevent reflections interfering with the cone. I guess it just depends on the components and what you expect to hear.

There are all kinds of thoughts and theories on this online in the various guitar and electronics forums.

I have not experimented with partially filled boxes per Jay's reply, so I cannot comment on any differences.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 6:50 pm    

On mine, I stuffed it with long-fiber wool. It increases the apparent cabinet volume for the low end, but more importantly can help dampen any midrange honk that cabinet resonances might promote.

I've used the TT-12 on one gig so far in my temporary closed-back wedge. I know a lot of you guys swear by open-back, and my best sounding cabinet now is a Peavey 1501 in an open back, but it depends too much on the room. I'm trying to get a closed-back to work because its sound is more consistent gig to gig because it doesn't depend on what's behind you - sometimes I'm rammed up against a wall etc. I tried the 15 in a closed back, but it was too beamey. I messed with diffusers with not much success.

With the TT12, I got a consistent sound over a wider angle because its only a 12, so that's great. The sound was "sweet", but a little more mid-focused than what I'm going for and not as sparkley as the 1501. I read the post about "EEK" (too much high end) and Travis Toy's comments about making the steel frequency focus sit right in a stage mix. I conceptually get it, but I'm having trouble reconciling a good band tone with a good tone alone in my living room.
I'm shooting for the tone on Janice Maynard's "I'll take My Chances" album, specifically, "The Perfect Place" https://www.reverbnation.com/janicemaynard

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 6:55 am    

I have built several speaker cabs for my steel and audio.
My way of thinking and it has not failed me yet is to look up the specs of the cubic inches required for the type of speaker I have.
Then I work out what I need for dimensions for the speaker mounting. I then work out the numbers I need for the inside of the speaker cab.
I usually line all sides of my closed cabinets.
I made a double open back cabinet for 2 10" Eminence Speakers and used the method.
I then cut a 3"x6" inch hole on each back side.
The speakers were separated with a full baffle and all side were lined with felt.
I let the speaker specs guide me to the size and shape of my speakers.

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 7:25 am    

Jay Ganz wrote:
The type of material used will also affect the overall
tonal characteristics...plywood vs. solid pine.

Jay, how would you describe the difference in what you actually hear? I've got some solid pine cabs, and have wondered if I should add braces to firm up the sides, maybe better for steel guitar that way?

(Jay, or anyone who cares to comment.)

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2017 8:03 am    

I don't think bracing the sides will make a noticeable difference...especially if it's finger-jointed pine.
Supposedly, plywood gives a more focused, tighter sound with less mid frequencies....and they sure are heavier! Rolling Eyes

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2017 10:09 am    

Jack, I am considering going from my EPS12C to the Franklin or Toy signature model in my nashville 112.......I think the big difference between the toy and franklin is the type 0f magnet

I like my eps12c. Sounds great...but I am looking for a warmer tone. Thanks for the review.