The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  In ear monitors
Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 8:00 am    

Is anyone using in-ear monitors here ? My band is moving in that direction and has suggested the Shure SE535's but they are expensive at $499.00. Just wondering what others are using or if the 535's are worth the money. thanks !

Dale Foreman

Crowley Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 9:37 am     In ear monitors

I use in ear depending on the venue and sound system. My best advice is don't go cheap if you go this way. There is a lot of junk out there.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 12:27 pm    

what do you use Dale ?

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 12:39 pm    

Hi Karen , I've been using the SE 535's for about a year now. I've been pleased with the quality. Does take some getting used to though.

Ron
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 1:09 pm    

just ordered the 535s

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 3:49 pm    

I'm probably going to go with those soon also. It would be nice if there was some way to hear what they sound like before dropping that much dough...

Can anyone chime in with their opinions of other brands, like InEarZ or Westones??

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 5:43 pm    

I use triple driver Future Sonics, total pro stuff

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 5:49 pm    

If you are really trying to get professional level ear monitors, they need to be custom molded. Everyone's ears are different. It's very unlikely you will be satisfied in the long run with an off the shelf fit.

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 6:17 pm    

Karen , I don't think you'll have any regrets with the 535'S. They are triple drivers. No they are not custom molded. However they fit very well. For the part time/weekend warrior , $100 a night musician I like them fine 😊 Let us know how you like them after you use them for a while.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 6:22 pm    

FWIW. I use the Shure and I'm constantly amazed how isolated you can get with the stock ear buds. They do a remarkable job even as compared to my custom molded Westone plugs.

I'm a happy camper. I love em'.

hp

03\' Carter D-10
70\'s Dekley D-10
52\' Fender Custom
Many guitars by Paul Beard
Listowner Resoguit-L

Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 6:55 pm    

I use the entry-level Shure SE 215's with memory foam tips. Not fancy, but works great for me! I also use a personal mixer from posseaudio.com that makes getting a good mix much easier bc I can control my own vocal and instrument level, plus it has built in room mics.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 7:00 pm    

Westone Custom Fit triple drivers (about 10 years old) still sound great. Prior to these I used their UM dual drivers.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 7:31 pm    

The 535 is a fine set.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 11:36 pm    

I guess I'm jaded. I played a few years back at the Mickey Gilley club in Reno/Sparks, Nv. They insisted that everyone play direct and handed me a brand new set of Shure ear pieces. I don't know what model they were, but they were supposedly a step up from other Shures. I couldn't keep them in my ears. They were constantly coming loose so all I heard was treble. It was an awful gig.

Shortly after that gig, I saw a special from 1964 Ears, a small company from Portland, Oregon. I paid an audiologist to take molds of my ears and had a set of monitors made by 1964 Ears, for less than these Shures you guys are talking about. I also had a set of custom molded Westone ear plugs made for loud gig where I don't use the IEMs. Both the 1964s and the Westones fit very well and serve their purposes.

That was money well spent.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:42 am    

I ordered the 535 and will try them on a gig friday night. I will also most likely get the custom molds for my ears at some point. thanks everyone for responding.

Jim Sliff

Lawndale California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 11:42 am    

Quote:
I couldn't keep them in my ears. They were constantly coming loose so all I heard was treble. It was an awful gig.

All the better Shure in-ear monitors...even wired versions...fit fine, but take some time to adjust to the user's ears. It usually takes me about 10-15 minutes to properly fit them for both security and good sound.

I know others that could not just "put them on" and play either. It also helps to reads the instructions - there are quirks to the Shures that aren't obvious.

FWIW I've always used them with real amps in place of floor monitors. The big advantage - other than feedback reduction and stage volume control - is that with good systems each player has control over their own monitor mix. In those situations I eventually preferred them to floor monitors by far.

I've only played in a "forced direct" system for one day. The entire house band...me included...quit. That ended the "no amps" policy in about 15 minutes.
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional

Dan Klotz

Houston, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2017 11:45 pm    

I went into the ear monitor thing kicking and screaming. I was still pretty new at steel and it took some getting used to. Now, I love it. We have an X32 board with these personal Monitor mixer boxes so I can reach over and turn a knob to get my mix exactly how I want it. I don't have ear fatigue or "volume headaches" at the end of the gig.

The guys in my band all have custom molded Ultimate Ears so did the same. They were very expensive. They do sound great. However, I have several friends that bought some buds off amazon for $40 and they say they sound great. Probably not as good... But good enough. Lol

Robert Jones

Branson, Missouri
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 3:14 pm    

I have been using inear's for a good many years now. I bought and still have the Shure PSM400's. I went to the molded ultimate ears with dual drivers and am very pleased with them. It's already been said but I'll say it as well. It takes some getting use to. I'll quote my drummer when he told me that once I got use to them I'd kick the floor monitor off the stage. I must say that he was right. It takes a while to get a good monitor mix but once you get the mix right I think you will be happy with them. Good luck with your choice.
http://www.bjsbars.com/

Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2017 6:37 pm    

I've used in-ears for about 15 years in church bands, I have a set of custom molded, dual driver Ultimate Ears, but they got so old the tips disintegrated. Small Shure tips work after a fashion but they don't stay on very well. I bought a pair of Shure 535's a year or so ago and really like them too, although they don't have as much output level as the UE's. I was in one band for about 17 years, and 7 or 8 years of that time we had 16 channel Aviom personal mixers which allowed us to set our own mixes. We also had ambient mics in the auditorium which could be mixed in to lessen the isolated feeling. This system worked very well. I've pretty much quit playing now but still have all of my "stuff" in case I want to go back to it some day.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 7:50 am    

Can any of you guys recommend a good multi channel mini mixer for use with in ear monitors?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2017 7:51 am    

Can any of you guys recommend a good multi channel mini mixer for use with in ear monitors?
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ruth Iseli-Dahler

Switzerland
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2017 12:44 pm    

I used the shure 425 for about 60 gigs so far. They sound fine but inear mix is never the same experience like stage mix, even with ambience mic added. We create our own monitor mix on the IPad using the X32-Q Behringer App.
The disadvantage using inears: -communication on stage is more difficult. -When I laugh, they drop off my ears a Little Smile . When switching from Steel to Dobro and back there is a danger to pull them out unwillingly.... so I think more important than buying the very best pairs of inear is the state of beeing prepared for these Kind of small problems. I would not want to play without anyway!

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 3:56 am    

Patrick Huey wrote:

My bass player is recommending we all get these

BEHRINGER POWERPLAY P16-M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005EHINSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Po22zbJED269H

Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2017 5:20 am    

Karen, That's exactly what we are using. Works really well. Lots of good tutorials on you tube on this.

Jonathan Mitguard

San Rafael, California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2017 9:34 am    

I too have been using the Shure SE215. Pretty darn inexpensive and it has worked well with a very loud band. It is odd to be sort of isolated in that you can't hear your band mates talking really. Also I find it is really dependent on the sound guy. if they aren't the sort to pay attention I don't go in ear.