The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Allen Amp Encore with a TT-12
Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 7:39 am    

After selling some gear, I just acquired an Encore amp by David Allen at Allen Amplification.
The Encore is based on a Fender Vibrolux but David makes these by hand and they are solid!
I had him put in the larger tranny to get to 40 watts and because he is an Eminence dealer, I had him put in a Travis Toy 12" speaker. He had never done that before.
I could not be more pleased with the way this sounds. My Sho-Bud and Williams both sound great and my Tele and Strats also sound superb. The amp weighs 48 lbs.
The TT-12 is articulate and warm, the bottom is tight and full giving my Teles almost pianistic tones on the low end.
I had owned an Encore before 7-8 years ago that had 2X10 which was a mistake for me cause I found out I just do not like 10s. So this was a little gamble, having this amp built with an untried speaker (to me) but it has paid off.YMMV

Last edited by Fred Rogan on 21 Sep 2017 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total

MIchael Bean

North Of Boston
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 8:26 am    

I just last month put a TT-12 in my Allen Accomplice. It sounds amazing! I also have the upgraded transformers. It's heavy even with the Neo speaker.

It's actually my second TT-12, the first is in my converted 15" cabinet that I use with amp heads. I love that speaker for guitar too- it's perfect for Tele, as it cuts off the ice pick highs and gives punch in the upper mids.

Fred Rogan

Birmingham, AL USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 7:20 am    

I agree with your assessment Michael. I think the TT-12 is the best sounding, most balanced speaker I have heard in a long time and it also happens to be able to handle just about any power you can throw at it.