The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  evans E200-m Guitar Comb
Thornton Lewis

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 4:19 am    

Newby here. Been playing for nine months, gfi expo single e9 through a roland cube 30. Amp is fine for practice but saw a
used Evans E200-m Guitar Combo and wondered if anyone had played through one and had any comments or information about
them. Don't even know what size speaker is in it. I can call the company, but thought I would tap the collective wisdom here first. Any info appreciated.

Josh Braun

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 7:20 am    

Evans seems to be widely well regarded amongst steel players (and certainly on this forum). Past posts seem to indicate they have their own "sound" or vibe - i.e., they're not necessarily a clone of another popular amp (though I'm sure, just like all amps, that you can approximate X or Y via EQ settings).

I'll just add that someone on this forum made what I think was an astute observation about amps and steel players the other day. They remarked that they saw players falling into roughly two categories:

1) The tube people - Fender Twin is the paradigmatic sound they tend to like, but the octal set is present as well (Little Walter, etc.)

2) The solid state people - Peavey Session/Nashville seems to be paradigmatic here, but boutique amps like the old Webbs are the "unobtainium" in this realm. Stereo Steel would fit here as well.

Sonically, I'm in the Twin camp and tilt toward the Bakersfield sound/style. I still use and love my Quilters, and dig the Peavey sound, but for me the classic Fender sound is really king (and not the sound some Twin players get trying to mimic the solid state sound).

As you begin your never ending tone quest it might be helpful to reflect about your own tone preferences and what works for you. The Evans will be a great amp, but if you're seeking the exact timbre a Twin puts out it might still be a mismatch.

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 8:04 pm    

I have had an E-200 for nearly 20 years. One of several amps in my small arsenal. I have had a PV1502, 1501 and current have a Telonics in it. All sound great. They are their own amp. They tend to have more highs and have at times even turned all the highs down. Every steel I have played through it sounded nothing less than great. Different venues required a little different setting as is usually the case any amp. If the amp you're looking at is all good and a good buy I see no problem. I'm sure it won't be your last amp. Good luck. Keep pickin'