The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hello Darlin'
Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 4:10 am    

Yes it's me again but promise this is the last for a while. I just had to have a go at John Hughey's Hello Darlin as you can imagine the twists and turns of the bar are many and varied. I am using my George Boards S8 made in 2009 and of solid maple tuned as usual to C6 standard. Guitar and harmonica are also played by me.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-hearn-197524187/hello-darlin

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 4:19 am    

Very nice, Mick. Don't stop posting.

C. E. Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 8:18 am    

Nice Mick!
Joe Elk Central ohio

Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 11:11 am    

sounds great, from another georgeboards s8 owner..

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 1:46 pm    

Hi Mick.
Many lap steel players on this forum have attempted sounding like E9th pedal steel and some with great success, but your playing is the best I have heard yet.That is very clever playing Mick and I'm sure a lot of us will be trying work out those cord bends etc. And all done on C6th!!!
Thankyou for posting.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 3:29 pm    

Once again thanks for the comments. Over the past year my confidence has grown whereas before I had no confidence in my ability as a steel player. I can only say it is the support of members that I have been able to try these things.

As for this song I was very fortunate in that this was mostly two note runs and John Hughey made each note very prominent. I was therefore able to listen to two songs, - the melody and then the harmony and combining the two with the aid of forward and rearward slants. Also a knowledge of scale harmonies is important. I did not want to go along the road of string pulls although it would be necessary if you wanted to play a three note chord with a bend on one of the notes. Don't forget that Billy Robinson did this years ago albeit he does incorporate string pulls.

Also listen to Lloyd Green as his songs are mostly 2 note chords but played very effectively with the occasional three note chord incorporated. In fact my next challenge is Lloyds "White Light" again on C6 lap steel. There are limits but it is making it as effective as possible.

Tim Russell

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 4:55 pm    

Beautiful! I have always loved this song, and you played it very well! Keep posting!

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 11:35 pm    

Great tone and accuracy Mick! It is an incredible pedal steel guitar sounding presentation. VERY impressive!

Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 6:32 am    

Mick, you nailed it !! Great great job indeed...I am very impressed with every part of it...give us more ! Smile
Zum Encore, Remington D8 non pedal, Hallmark Mosrite clone, Gretsch 6120 DSW, Gretsch G5210T-P90 Electromatic Jet Two 90,1976 Ibanez L5, Eastman archtop, Taylor Dreadnaught, Telonics pedal, Squire Tele, Squire Strat, Fender Tonemaster, Gold Tone 5 string banjo, Little Wonder tenor banjo, 3 Roland cubes 30s and 80, Carvin combo bass amp

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 7:41 pm    

That was wonderful Mike, very very tasty with some great tone. What's your tuning flavour mate?

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 11:22 pm    

Impressive use of C6 with great slanting and decent use of the pedal. Now I know it is possible to sound like a pedal steel on C6. Thank you.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 4:24 am    

Great job!!! It really reinforce my decision to quit pedal steel to focus on C6!

Ed Baker

Connecticut, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 7:13 am    

Wow. That was very impressive.

Maybe someday you can show us what equipment you used to produce this recording.

Mega Kudos to you!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 7:16 am    

It sound a little like Sneaky Pete to me!

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 9:27 am    

Equipment used - well as stated at the beginning a George Boards S8 of solid maple. This went in to a Roland Cube 80 on the JC clean channel. A line out to a small Peavey mixer and in to the computer - Windows XP and using Cubase. No effects added. Backing was courtesy of Band in a Box. I take the indiviual tracks from B in a B as wav files to use on Cubase.

Hope this helps.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 12:03 pm    

Today I ventured in to the bowels of my garage and dug out my ZB Student. For a while now I have had this tuned to C6 and thought I would give it a whirl for the pedal steel type playing. As a ten string I have used a D on string 1 and high G on string 2. The rest are standard C6 and dispensed with the real low string that never got used any way. Having that D in the mixture opens it up a bit more for pedal steel type sounds. No pedals as usual. When I restring my C6 10 string lap steel I will certainly use the same setup.

Mark Helm

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2017 7:25 pm     Sweet!

Keep 'em coming, brother!!!
Remington Steelmaster S8 w/ custom Steeltronics pickup. Vox MV-50 amplifier + an 1940's Oahu cab w/ 8" American Vintage speaker. J. Mascis Fender Squire Jazzmaster, Hofner Club bass, Ibanez AVN4-VMS Artwood Vintage Series Concert Size Acoustic Guitar. 1920s/30s Supertone Hawaiian-themed parlor guitar. Silvertone parlor guitar.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2017 10:37 pm    

I know that this playing has caused a bit of interest but please do not forget Mike Neer who did this long before I did. Have a look at his take on Waltz of the Roses by Tom Brumley. A worthy lesson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV9dKiRxeB4