The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Outside vs Inside
David Peirce

Left Coast of Florida
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2017 6:09 pm    

I have a steady Friday night outdoor gig on Siesta Key, and love it. I get a good tone out of my open backed Telonics, which is DI'd into the mains and monitors, so the dancers in front of us, and the listeners behind us in the parking lot, all get a good sound to enjoy from my amp and the rest of the band from the rear facing monitors - sort of theater in the round - no drunks crowded and crashing into the bandstand, plenty of room for those who actually want to listen to the tunes, and a nice, uncrowded stage setup. To me, much more pleasant than a crowded stage in a crowded bar with a big ambient noise level. When it rains, we play inside, and I hate it - cramped, noisy, and everybody in your face. If we get caught in the rain, like most of you, I cover the electronic stuff first - the mica finish guitar seems to do just fine with a thorough drying out and a little fine machine oil. My lacquer finished guitar is reserved for indoor or studio jobs.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2017 4:50 pm    

Paul, I like the tone I get outside and you have to push amp a little harder but I use same settings no matter where I play. I do tend to use a touch more reverb for outside. My favorite place to play is like a big colesium, that is when the sound guy knows what he's doing.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2017 8:45 am    

I absolutely hate playing outside. I would rather not play at all than play outside. That past couple of years, I have been turning down most outdoor gigs. Even in the bands I was in, I would have them get a fill-in. I can't handle the extreme heat or cold that accompanies almost every outdoor gig. My biggest problem is with cold hands. And of course there are exceptions. Really great gigs and benefits, I will usually play.