The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jerry Byrd tune....."I'LL BE ALL SMILES TONIGHT"
Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 11:44 am    

Does anyone know what tuning Jerry Byrd used on "I'll be all smiles tonight". If you check you tube he is playing his frypan. Not sure its a 6 or 8 string but its a beautiful song with lots of slants.
I have a triple neck Fender stringmaster tuned to A6th, C6th and E13th. The song seems to fit better on A6th but the slants are almost impossible to get the intonation correct.
Just curious if anyone else has tried this tune.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 1:21 pm    

Jerry played and recorded that song on E9th
E-B-G#-F#-E-D-B-G# high to low

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 10:12 am    

Jim, I tried This on my e9th and I don't believe the slants work at all. Not even close. I know he mentioned e9th on one of the songs in that series but he must have changed the tuning from A to E9th.
Thanks for the reply.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 10:29 am    

According to Scotty's old list of JB tablature (tab written by Jerry) "I'll Be All Smiles Tonight" is in E9 tuning.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 6:59 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
According to Scotty's old list of JB tablature (tab written by Jerry) "I'll Be All Smiles Tonight" is in E9 tuning.

Jim, maybe someone has that tab for you to look at.

Jerry was incredible with forward to reverse and reverse or forward slant changes with great accuracy. very difficult to copy. You can hear the E9th tuning when he plays some strum chords.
For me personally, I find E9th on lap steel very limiting compared with 6th tunings, however it's an amazing tuning with pedals.
Jerry done some very nice songs in the E9th but that's Jerry.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2017 8:11 pm    

Yeah, the strums are the dead giveaway on Jerry's E9 songs. That full major chord on the top three strings. He didn't have that on his C6 tuning.

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 12:41 pm    

Thanks guys. I agree Jerry was the best at slants.
I'm curious, have either of you tried to play this song on E9th? In watching Jerry play, it appears he is using the top three strings. Could he have had a high G# on string one? Or maybe he was skipping a string and it just appears that he is using strings one thru three.
Anyway, thanks for the replies. Its a beautiful song and just sounds perfect with the slants.

Jim Mckay

New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2017 1:41 pm    

Jim McGinnis wrote:

I'm curious, have either of you tried to play this song on E9th? In watching Jerry play, it appears he is using the top three strings. Could he have had a high G# on string one?

Yes I have played it on Jerry's E9th which is as I posted above. Jerry's tunings were E high (no high G#) and for the most part of the song (not all) it is played on the top 5 strings, not just mostly on the top 3 strings. A lot of 3 string cords with bending on two and three strings with very careful muting of the unwanted middle string.

Jim McGinnis

Owasso, OK USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 6:20 am    

Thanks Jim and Doug for your comments. I was able to find the correct three string combos on the E9th. I was thinking Jerry was using the top 3 strings but he wasn't. The guy was truly amazing at what he could get out of a tuning.
I doubt that I could ever accomplish the correct slants on this song on E9th so I would probably stick with the A tuning where the top three strings are used. I just find it easier............not as pretty.....but easier. Very Happy