The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Wiring wizard's needed
Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 4:41 am    

Hello, I'm currently playing through a Fender Mustang lv modeling amp which currently has 2 12" speakers. In a hurry as usual to buy this amp I didn't realize there was no 1/4" jack for an external speaker. After laying an outside gig this past weekend, I want to ad an external cabinet with a 15" speaker. Can anyone walk me through what I can do to make this happen. Buying another amp is not an option. Any advise would be helpful.
Thanks. Chuck M.

Bill A. Moore

Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 6:42 am    

It does have a line out doesn't it? Just send a signal to the PA.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 7:54 am    

An external speaker could overload the amp. You have to determine what the MINIMUM ohms load is that the amp will safely handle. You can parallel off the speaker connections for an external speaker, but you have to concerned with ohms (load). e.g. if the two speakers that are in there now are, for example 8 ohms each and they are connected in parallel (usual way) that is 4 ohms total load to the amp. If you add an external speaker that is also 4 ohms that brings the total ohms down to 2 ohms which the amp may cause damage to the amp. Even an 8 ohm extension speaker in parallel with the 4 ohms would be 2.7 ohms.

However, you could disconnect the internal speakers and connect the external speaker to the amp speaker wires. That would probably work OK.

James Collett

San Dimas, CA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 10:21 am    

As long as you match impedance like Jack said, you could install an override jack in the back that cuts off signal to the combo speakers and sends it out the speaker you. plug in. That way the amp still operates as standalone without having to rewire. If the speaker plugs into the amp with a 1/4" jack already, you could just unplug and plug your 15" speaker manually, too, as long as the amp is turned off.

J.D.White

Lafayette, Louisiana
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2017 12:31 pm    

The Mustang IV & V are the same amp setup - IV being a combo model and V being a stereo amp head.

Looking at the manual/schematic, the IV / V have 2 separate 75 watt amplifiers (8 ohm min. ea.) - each amplifier is connected to a separate 12" speaker in your combo model.

I don't see a way of hooking up just one extra speaker to that setup & don't think it would be a good idea.

A while back I was thinking about buying one & this was the deal breaker for me.

- just my .02

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 1:08 am    

That appears to be a stereo amp. Best to not mess with the electronics and just use the line outs as Bill posted.

Although sending a signal to the PA is good, and if you have monitors can send some of your signal to them, if you want another source of yourself on stage get another amp and plug into that off the line out.

You will be able to tweak that "extension" amp/cab to sound its best on that side of the stage because what you may set for yourself on your side may not sound the same at the extension.

The money you would invest in another cab with speakers may be close to the price of another amp and you'd have more flexibility.

My 2 centavos as well...

Chuck Morel

Pottersville, New York
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 3:52 am     Wiring wizard's needed

Thanks everyone for the direction. possibly another amp is the answer. We want to have more of the steel heard on stage so we thought adding another speaker would work. I would want to use another cabinet along with my amps speakers, not to replace them. I'm going to try going through the monitors and possibly the mains and see how it works.. Right now less is more. Thanks you all again, now I can move forward.

Chuck M

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 9:56 am    

You could use your line out on your amp to drive another amp, or you could just use a power amp (no preamp) and a speaker and that actually might work best. But you could try a few different things and see what seems to sound the best and give you the most control over your sound.

Bob M.

Bob Metzger

Waltham (Boston), MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2017 9:57 am    

You could use your line out on your amp to drive another amp, or you could just use a power amp (no preamp) and a speaker and that actually might work best. But you could try a few different things and see what seems to sound the best and give you the most control over your sound.

Bob M.