The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spent some time in the company of Buck Reid today
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 6:46 pm    

I paid another visit (the 2nd one in less than a week) to Steel Guitars of Nashville Inc today, at the invite of my buddy Buck Reid. Buck was doing a bit of maintenance on the second love of his life, (behind his lovely lady Tammy) his superb red JCH. I had a chance to look at the guitar up close and it is still in magnificent condition for a 17 year old guitar that has been on the road throughout much of that period.

Buck put her through her paces for me, playing through the new Boss Katana 100 watt 12" combo amp. Bobby Hempker recently made us all aware of this amp in the Electronics section of the forum. The tone was sweet - very Emmons-like, and a very impressive depth of tone on the wound strings. Buck seemed just so comfortable on his old faithful, and I took advantage of the occasion to take a few pics. My sincere thanks go to Buck, along with Michelle and Bob from Steel Guitars of Nashville Inc.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:16 am    

Cool. What are the natural aluminum tubes where the legs screw in?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:42 am    

They are not aluminium tubes Richard. That is silver duct tape. Very Happy
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 10 Sep 2017 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:53 am    

Why the duct tape?

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 10:00 am    

Best let Buck tell you.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 10:35 am    

I thought that Buck bought an Infinity and sold his JCH???

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 10:43 am    

Buck sold the Infinity and now plays a Mullen G2. My guess is the JCH belongs to someone else who marks his front legs with duct tape and pedal rods with black tape!

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 11:14 am    

Let me add, when I was at Buck's house in July he had a G2. I don't know if he still owns the JCH, I was sure he sold it. Ken might enlighten us.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 1:09 am    

Buck owns the JCH. He was always meant to own it - there is some of his heart and soul in that guitar. Very Happy

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 8:47 am    

As the story goes; Buck made that instrument for himself while he was working with Jimmy Crawford. At one point, Buck sold it. However, he sold it to one generous, big hearted steeler who GAVE it back to Buck.

The instrument really resonates with Buck and there is a unique "back and forth" that goes on between him and the instrument. Buck can really make that steel sing!

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 9:17 am    

Buck really makes it sound good, that's for sure!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 6:34 am    

The story that Dan Kelly related is accurate. Buck toured this summer with his JCH with the Large Band. And Buck has just been booked for this fall's P.S.G.A. show in Norwalk, CT, this November 12th. If you want to see Buck live playing his JCH, please come and support one of the oldest, if not the oldest steel guitar club in the U.S. and the great players who take the time out of their busy schedules to grace us with their great playing and friendship. Here's a link to the details and listing of the players confirmed thus far:

http://psga.org/

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 6:44 am    

Boy, at the risk of diverting from the original subject matter of Ken's original post, this is gonna be some PSGA show this year. Just look at the line up:

CONFIRMED PLAYERS:

John DeMaille, Billy Easton, Chuck Lettes,

Mike Neer, Lucky Oceans, Jim Pitman,

Buck Reid, Stu Schulman, Phillip Stark.

Lucky Oceans is traveling all the way from Australia so this is a very rare opportunity to see and hear the Wheel's original steel guitarist. Oh boy!

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 7:04 am    

I have a question regarding Buck.....
While watching a video honoring Buddy Emmons at the country music hall of fame museum, Buck played on it.... I noticed his bar, it looked really, really skinny to me...does anyone know what size bar Buck used, or uses?