The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  seeking lessons on Deusenberg 6 string with benders
Michael Warner

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 1:08 pm    

I have a Deusenberg Pomona 6 tuned: G B D F# A D with bender to raise F# to G and another to raise A up a full step. I'm starting to learn Stand By Your Man
shown here: [url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt2OD2JZZ5I[/url]
and Harvest Moon, shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOOmtvC9Hc

I would be willing to pay someone to help me along the way to reaching these goals.
building a firm foundation within this tuning and with the benders. I know a lot of theory so I should be able to follow your instructions.

I have noticed that for both of the videos listed above, the players seem to be in the key that starts with both benders down (in other words the 4 chord becomes the 1 chord if that makes sense.

Of course if you know of any books on on-line resources that would be helpful i would appreciated knowing about them. I'm trying to avoid learning a lot in C6 tuning for example, then having to switch to tuning listed above.

Thanks,

Stefan Robertson

Hertfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 3:06 pm    

Don't know of any bender books

But the typical 1-4 change is found easily in an E13 tuning with a forward/reverse slant.

Plus an E13 tuning gives you that higher pitched whining steel sound.

With Benders you can do similar but not sure if its necessary. I suggest watching some E9 pedal steel tutorials and copy the Major chord inversions and the 1-4 changes NOTE for NOTE.

Usually videos are done mostly in G but you get the idea. Key doesn't matter.

If not E13 think about setting your tuning up so its identical to E9 pedal steel so when the play A/B or both together pedals you have the same changes.
E13#9/F secrets: https://thelapsteelguitarist.wordpress.com

"Give it up for The Lap Steel Guitarist"

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 8:58 pm    

I don't think there's much written about the tuning you're using but the four highest strings are the same as open D and that's where the majority of your playing is going to be done. You might start with an open D method book like Andy Volk recently published. Troy Brenningmeyer also has video lessons for open D.
I actually use the same tuning as you just up a whole step: A,C#,E,G#,B,E. I started out learning my harmonized scales, blues licks, etc. in open E and found that I could keep doing almost all of that but with much broader chord possibilities by changing those two strings on the bottom. It's a great tuning, how did you arrive at it? I learned about it from Bobby Lee, the fellow that runs this forum. His CD "Stella" was recorded almost entirely in the same tuning you're using, I highly recommend it.

I don't know if you're a novice lap steel player or not, but if you are, you may want to retune you guitar to open D (you'll need different gauge strings for 5 & 6) and learn to play using some of the reference materials (mentioned above) available for that tuning. Once you've learned bar technique, blocking, slants, etc., going back to your Gmaj9 tuning will be a fairly easy transition. I'd try to ignore the palm pedals for the first few months and just learn to play the lap steel. I'm fairly certain you won't follow that advice though. Razz Your palm pedals are set up to do the same thing as the A & B pedals of a pedal steel if it were in a D9 tuning. Most pedal steels use an E9 tuning so maybe you could transpose some beginner pedal steel lessons down a whole step to match your lap steel. The strings are in a different order though and there are a lot more of them so, maybe not.

Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing what you're going to do with that guitar!

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2017 10:06 pm    

This might help, but it's open D, which seems to work best in my experience with the Duesenberg.
https://youtu.be/DvfVd8P9rUc
Mike Brenner does a good job explaining the levers

Jeff Mead

London, England
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 1:19 am     Re: seeking lessons on Deusenberg 6 string with benders

Michael Warner wrote:

I have noticed that for both of the videos listed above, the players seem to be in the key that starts with both benders down (in other words the 4 chord becomes the 1 chord if that makes sense.

One of the key licks to learn is to hold down the lever that raises the F# to G (equivalent to the B pedal on a pedal steel) and pick the top 3 strings (or 2 3 and 4). As you pick them, engage the other lever (A pedal).

Also, if you engage the A pedal in its own, you get a minor chord (this also sounds good if you start with open strings and ease the lever in).

If you watch the "stand by your man" video you'll see him using both of those moves a lot.

Peter Funk

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 2:23 am    

The Guitar in the "Stand By Your Man"-video is tuned to Open D. I started the song at the seventh fret with both benders pulled down during the first two bars, which basically gives me a D-chord (Open-D tuning + 7th fret + both benders pulled down = D Wink )

Steve Atwood

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2017 5:50 pm    

You might want to try this tab of a pedal steel song, Mike:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=128577&highlight=smooth+sailing

Good way to explore what can be done with the multibender. It's the top four strings in E tuning, same setup as yours but a full tone higher.

I also have a recording of Silent Night, but no tab, if you want to try to figure it out by ear:

https://soundcloud.com/uninstructed/silent-night