The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Delta Blues - Better Speaker for Steel
Bruce Wandmayer

Sedona, AZ
Post  Posted 20 May 2021 2:42 pm    

I picked up a used Peavey Delta Blues 1-15 amp. With an output of 30 watts, I was thinking I'd use it for steel for smaller gigs. It's lacking a certain sparkling clarity in the highs, no matter what settings I use. Well, it's a guitar amp, not a pedal steel amp.
Anyone have experience swapping out the speaker to get a different sonic quality? The speaker out is looking for 16 ohms, so that's a consideration.
Thanks mucho!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 3:13 am    

The PV Delta Blues is a great amp in its category. It is indeed the Classic 30 platform which is 4 x EL84 amp. Guitar players love them, not so much for Steel players though. Very bright with limited headroom. You can try a different speaker and yes they are 16 ohms so just be aware. I've owned and used a couple but never bonded with them for Steel. That being said the Classic 30 platform is excellent for guitar players. I wish I still had one .

Possibly a very warm response 15 may do the trick, like a Jensen.

Two things to also keep in mind if you don't already know, they get REAL HOT ! Those EL84's will cook a steak to well done. The other thing is many of them have an inherent Power Transformer AC HUM. This is due to the PT Windings , it cannot be fixed without removing the PT , shielding the windings ( helps somewhat) or replacing it. This info is from PV service.

keep us updated !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 6:40 am    

I had one, and struggled to get a clean steel sound, which I figured was the EL84 sound. It sounded killer for my non pedal steels, not surprising. In a perfect world I’d keep it just for that. I’m not eager to haul vintage tube amps to my gigs.

I wouldn’t sink any money into it, and seeing as six stringers dig it, it should sell at the right price. It’s a cool amp for sure.

I traded mine for a steel amp, both parties were happy with the deal.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 10:00 am    

Yeah, not a great steel amp.. Actually, I think I might have traded for the one Steve had.
I think I gave a Nashville 112 for it..

It was ok, but lacked something for steel.. Any good low power tube Fender is a better choice... Matter of fact, over the years I have tried other all tube EL84 amps for steel, and they never worked out.. I like them a lot for guitar, but any EL 84 amp I have ever tried always missed the mark for steel.... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Bruce Wandmayer

Sedona, AZ
Post  Posted 21 May 2021 5:33 pm    

Tony, I heard that hum and was wondering what could be done about it. Looks like not much without major surgery.
I don't intend to force this amp into something it's not; if we don't organically fall in love with each other it may soon be time to release Delta to find her true partner.
I appreciate everyone's input on this; it's been quite consistent and valuable. A worthwhile experiment and no one got hurt.
Let's play on!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 2:05 am    

Bruce, I don't remember all the exact details about the HUM, but it had to do with the way the PT was wound and shielded. Maybe even the epoxy. The wingdings were interfering with each other. The fine folks at PV were willing to send me a new PT but they also said it may be better or worse than the one you have ! I removed the PT from one of them, messed with it, put it back and the hum was a bit better but not gone. At the end of the day , being a great guitar amp, it fell short for the Steel. I sold it to a local guitar player who uses two ! He was aware of the hum but didn't care, it didn't bother him at gig levels.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bruce Wandmayer

Sedona, AZ
Post  Posted 23 May 2021 11:21 am    

Thanks, Tony. I'll make the DB available to a guitarist who can appreciate its qualities. (It's not you, dear; it's me.) That hum? Nothing a little tequila won't solve at gig levels. <grin>