The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pickup Advice Please
Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 10:20 pm    

Hi,
I have BMI S10 Keyless that has a George L 'PF-II' pickup in it. I find that it has a very rounded mellow sound which doesn't cut through well with a band.
Can anyone suggest something that might be more punchy? I also have a Zum which sounds perfect, however there are no identifying features on the pickup that it has in it.
Thanks

John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 10:44 pm    

You might try a True Tone pickup wound to 17.5. It has a crisp and clear tone with decent lows and nice highs. I have one in my Zum and it cuts through in the band just fine.
BTW- Jerry recommended, that, I get mine wound to 19.5 since it's a 12 string because the 12 string pickup is longer and needed the extra windings. I wouldn't change it for the world. Also, I get no hum from the single coil winding.

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 2:04 am    

You might go to the "MSA Legend Sgnature Guitar" thread and click to watch the video. He demonstrates the quick change pup system but, he goes through about 6 or 7 pups.

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 3:38 am    

When you say the pickup in the Zum has no marks, are you saying it's a black block like your George L, but with no markings? That's a George L 10-1.
Or are you saying it's a single coil without any apparent markings? If it's a single coil with squared edges on the top plate, it's an OEM single coil (probably a Bruce-wound, since you don't often see one maker's OEM in another guitar), but if the top plate is beveled, it's almost certainly a Jerry Wallace Truetone.