The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any One use ear protection?
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2017 8:40 pm    

Yep, I always use some kind of ear protection when playing with others. Rehearsals, gigs, jam sessions, it doesn't matter. I control the sound level only when practicing by myself. Any other time I have something in my ears. I never rehearse or gig without protecting myself. Fighting the volume war in a band is like Superman, "a never ending battle for truth, justice and the American way." Other band members are welcome to damage their ears, but they won't get mine.

In-ear monitors provide a reasonable level of sound reduction, I sometimes use them when I have control over the mix in my monitors. But they don't sound as good as my own amp. At the moment I prefer setting my amp in a tilt-back stand where I can reach it, and hear myself. Everything is mic'ed or DI to the PA, so my amp is my monitor.

I always keep some foam ear plugs on hand. My wife just got these from Target, $10 for 100/50-pair; she buys all my steel guitar stuff for me... she's a keeper.

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 3:53 am    

Yes, I almost always wear something in my ears. Even in quiet settings I tend to play too quietly since my amp is right at my ear, and while it may sound good to me no one else can hear it much. Ear plugs have helped that problem, as well as for protection with loud bands.

Lately I've been using iFrogz headphones (bud-style) as ear plugs. I find them to be more comfortable. I just tuck the cord into my shirt. It's funny, but everyone who sees me thinks it's an in-ear monitor... But no, it's just cheap headphones that make perfect comfortable infinitely-reusable ear plugs.

Oh, and sometimes I will back them out partially so I hear more of the actual sound. Things can get too muffled with them all the way in.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 7:27 am    

I agree, no mo. I had mostly worked as a bassist on postage-stamp stages, and the drummers all had a crash cymbal aimeed right at my head. It's even NAMED a "crash cymbal!" - I guess so you "get it." I do have some fine weaponry, a pair of Direct Sound "EXTREME ISOLATION" headphones that drop external sound by 29db, but you can add MUSIC back in, through the little wire thing. Although I will never play with closed cans or in-ears if I can't have my OWN mixer-with-compression (or OFF switch) in there, it just takes ONE BLAST from soundman-idiot/guitarist-girlfriend "soundman" etc.

I'm actually lucky, I do have about 40% loss in my left ear above 6K, but I never liked those frequencies anyway. I know I've GOTTA BE sniffing up towards permanent tinnitus-land, but I'm 59 and just-in-time not remotely interested in money-for-sucky-jobs anymore. The Extreme Isolation cans were designed by a drummer to work great and stay put, so they're large, heavy, clamp like a... narwhale* and have "EXTREME ISOLATION" written in big letters on each side, which can occasionally trigger the resident halfwits into convulsions over their (half)-wittiness.

AND ANOTHER GREAT THING about declaring oneself in "recovery-from-trap-drums" is... rhythm. Just LOOKING at drum charts you'll see that everything is notated for... bass drum, hi-hat and snare. ONLY. So in what Robert Fripp calls the "tyranny of the drum kit", every rhythm ever conceived of by mankind is broken down by a trapkit drummer to... three parts only, and all the other drums are just for random bashing around those three parts. Even if they don't KNOW they're doing it, and/or ESPECIALLY if they don't know they're doing it! BASH BASH tika thud. BASH bash tika THUD. Thud THUD bash tika.... sigh. Crying or Very sad

So in their own quaint semi-addled way, all those Seventies rock bands who added the Bongo Dude (next to the two black chicks** singing "oooh oooh") were searching for the "EXIT" door to trap-rhythm, or maybe the "ENTRANCE" door, heck they even CALL it "TRAP drums" just so you "get it." Or maybe Bongo-Dude could get good blow, you never know; or you do. Shocked

*(I've never had a Great White Shark clamped on my head).

**(Wouldn't you have loved to have the chewing-gum concession-license at the Fillmores, Don Kirshner's Rock Concert etc? Package deal with the nasal-surgeon. Oooh-oooh, I'll say!) Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 5:16 pm    

"I'm actually lucky, I do have about 40% loss in my left ear above 6K, but I never liked those frequencies anyway."

HAHA! I agree completely. I tried a hearing aid recently and couldn't stand the way I was hearing things. Left that bugger on the shelf and kept $3k in my pocket.

I also have custom Westone plugs and use them with the 15db filter. I tried off-the-shelf stuff but nothing ever fit right. I also concur that the plugs affect the tone and not just volume. I am able to hear each instrument in the band individually much better though, and can keep my own volume in check. I feel more control over my playing. Between songs, it is nearly impossible to hear what band members are saying, especially in a loud crowded club. Pulled the little tab off both plugs from taking them out so many times just to hear what song is being called off.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 5:41 pm    

I've used ACU-LIFE Shooter's Hearing Protectors (Health Enterprises) for many years.
Unlike most earplugs, these hearing protectors offer variable noise reduction, with up to 18dB reduction for hearing protection.

Formerly known as “Sonic Valves” and sold in music stores, these hearing protectors actually have a tiny diaphragm valve that normally stays open, allowing the user to hear normal conversation and quiet sounds.

When the noise level rises above 90dB, the valve begins to close; when fully closed, the mfr says it can reduce up to 18dB of noise. The valve closes instantaneously; so it is used by firearms shooters to block the noise of the gunshots.

Shooter's Impact Noise Reducing Ear Plugs
Currently only $12.99 for a pair at:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTECDFU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sold by: Emtech Laboratories, Inc.

-Dave

Warren Tavernia

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:09 pm     ear protection

well that gives gravity to the old saying, we may not sound good but we shure are loud. well I used to be the loudest guy on the stage when I was young but not any more cause I now have much higher quality equipment and every time I play I have the great sound I was chasing all those years so there is no reason to play loud and I think a lot of the loudnsee is do to far to much testosterone on the stage!ofcourse the amplifier companys arn`t helping with 500 watt amps either.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:43 pm    

If it gets too loud to be comfortable, I'm going home. I don't need the money, or want to play, bad enough to torture myself with that.

Related - I hate it when the band is on break and the sound man plays loud, head banging, or 50's rock through the PA. I think people's ears need a break from the music too.

RC