The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  From 8/31/17 LA Weekly Re: Exile on Main Street
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 4:24 am    

A snippet from the article:

Al Perkins recorded his lovely, lyrical pedal-steel parts for countryfied Exile track “Torn and Frayed” at Sunset Sound, too. Then a member of The Flying Burrito Brothers, Perkins had recently acquired a used ZB Custom double-neck from Tom Brumley, Ricky Nelson’s steel player, before his December 1971 Exile session. Perkins had been woodshedding on his new instrument at his Aqua Vista Street apartment in Studio City, preparing to tour with Manassas, Stephen Stills' new band.

Called to the nighttime Exile session, Perkins parked his Pontiac LeMans in the parking lot behind Sunset Sound and took his steel out of the trunk. Inside Studio 1’s control room, he set up at the right end of the facility’s custom Bob Bushnell–built console. Perkins didn’t use an amp on the session, instead going through a tube limiter, then directly into the console — which is surprising, as his “Torn and Frayed” tone is so rich and warm.

“They wanted me to feel as if I was playing live with them,” Perkins says by phone from the Nashville area, where he now resides. “When they started running it down, I asked for a vocal and they said, ‘Well, we don’t have a vocal right now, so Mick’s going to sing a vocal.’ They gave Mick a hand mic and he literally sang the song each time I did a pass. We didn’t do that many, I think maybe about three passes, and he would do all his stage routine right there in the studio. And here I was trying to concentrate on a brand-new guitar. [To] have him dancing around was a little unusual, to say the least.”

Since he’d only had the ZB Custom steel for about three weeks, Perkins was “fighting it a little” and “kind of playing it safe.” He laughs as he remembers, “They said, ‘You can play anything you want, you can stretch out.’ And I was thinking to myself, ‘I am stretching out' — trying to learn all the parts of that new steel guitar."
===============================================

I had to grin at "fighting it a little" .....

From: The Forgotten L.A. History of The Rolling Stones' Exile on Main St. Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 5:30 a.m

URL:
http://www.laweekly.com/music/how-the-rolling-stones-exile-on-main-st-was-finished-in-los-angeles-at-sunset-sound-8594714

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 7:12 am    

Cool - thanks, Ray!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 7:33 am    

And I always thought that Al flew over to the south of France to make that recording. I've read somewhere that Sneaky Pete was asked to play, but he didn't want to play with them.

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 10:18 am    

A number of people found they had a heroin problem after playing with them, that they didn't have before. Most notable "I've gotta get OUT of here" was Mick Taylor.

Ken Pippus

Langford, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 10:38 am    

I believe Anita von Pallenberg, who was married to him at the time, said Exile was recorded back when "Keef could really handle his heroin."