INSTRUCTION STRINGS ACCESSORIES MUSIC LINKS
 Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com for Steel Guitars, Strings, Instruction, Music and Accessories 
Forum Index
where steel players meet online
The Steel Guitar Forum

Post new topic Lacquer Emmons Project #3 (Brownie) Phase 2 - Assembly
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lacquer Emmons Project #3 (Brownie) Phase 2 - Assembly
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:16 am     Reply with quote

Guys,

Here is a preview of my upcoming early 70s Lacquer, metal neck resto.

This guitar belonged to Hubert Brown better known as Brownie. He is the original owner and bought it from the Music Box in Sacramento, CA many years ago. Brownie was not only a great player but he was the closest thing to Ralph Mooney you ever heard. He was humble and the nicest guy you can ever come to know.

When I was a young gun learning steel guitar in the Sacramento Brownie was considered one of the best in the area. He along with Jim Gray, Kenny Yates, Jimmy Fox, Jay Riley, a Young Chris Ivy, and many others were among my first strong influences and are in many ways responsible for my interest in the pedal steel guitar.

I am honored to have the opportunity to revive this old guitar and make her sing once again. This one will be a keeper for me guys so she will not be for sale.











_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com


Last edited by Mike Scaggs on 14 Oct 2017 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Stan Schober


From:
Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 10:34 am     Reply with quote

SHe's a beauty !

E9 on the back neck with 6-7-8- set up as your ABCs ?
_________________
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Stan Schober wrote:
SHe's a beauty !

E9 on the back neck with 6-7-8- set up as your ABCs ?


Nope, it will be setup standard with the E9th upfront
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tony Glassman


From:
The Great Northwest
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Are you going to keep it blonde?
View user's profile Send private message
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 11:51 am     Reply with quote

Tony Glassman wrote:
Are you going to keep it blonde?


Don't think so...
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Don Mogle


From:
Fort Worth, TX, USA
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

Mike,

I'd like to see this in a nice sunburst. I'm sure there are some nice examples here on the Forum. If I can find any I like, I will post them for sampling purposes. OK...I found a previous post. I really like the Zum on this post.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=308188&highlight=show++sunburst+guitars



Please forgive my recommendations on YOUR guitar, but thought I'd weigh-in on it. Regardless, I'm sure it will be another spectacular restoration. Looking forward to seeing the progression. Keep us posted on the progress.

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Stan Schober


From:
Cahokia, Illinois, USA
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:43 pm     Reply with quote

Mike Scaggs wrote:
Stan Schober wrote:
SHe's a beauty !

E9 on the back neck with 6-7-8- set up as your ABCs ?


Nope, it will be setup standard with the E9th upfront


I was asking if that's what it is currently.
_________________
Emmons S-8 P/P,DeArmond 40. Slowly drifting back towards sanity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Stan Schober wrote:
Mike Scaggs wrote:
Stan Schober wrote:
SHe's a beauty !

E9 on the back neck with 6-7-8- set up as your ABCs ?


Nope, it will be setup standard with the E9th upfront


I was asking if that's what it is currently.


It's a faded 44 years of some color LOL... It may have been red at one time. Soon as I get the necks off we will all know
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:56 pm     Reply with quote

Don Mogle wrote:
Mike,

I'd like to see this in a nice sunburst. I'm sure there are some nice examples here on the Forum. If I can find any I like, I will post them for sampling purposes. OK...I found a previous post. I really like the Zum on this post.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=308188&highlight=show++sunburst+guitars



Please forgive my recommendations on YOUR guitar, but thought I'd weigh-in on it. Regardless, I'm sure it will be another spectacular restoration. Looking forward to seeing the progression. Keep us posted on the progress.

Don


I'm seriously looking at this color



_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
J R Rose


From:
Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

GOOD ON YOU MIKE. KEEP US POSTED ON PROGRESS. J.R.
_________________
Black Rains SD-10, Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Telonics, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Don Mogle


From:
Fort Worth, TX, USA
Post Posted 1 Sep 2017 8:13 pm     Brownie Reply with quote

The coloring scheme on the Show Pro looks great Mike! Love that one too!

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Will Houston


From:
Tempe, Az
Post Posted 2 Sep 2017 10:24 pm     Reply with quote

The Sho Pro is amazing, you wouldn't go wrong with that color scheme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Ok, it's now started









_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Henry Matthews


From:
Texarkana, Ark USA
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Mike, do you go back with the same screw holes on everything? Does the flocking cover them up or do you mark them some way like with a peg or something when you put on flocking. Just curious, you really do a great job.
_________________
Henry Matthews
D-10 1982 Emmons p/p Black
D-10 1975 Emmons p/p Black Woodneck Bolt-on
LTD amp, Nashville 400 amp, Quilter Steelaire amp, Goodrich pedal, BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:32 am     Reply with quote

Henry Matthews wrote:
Mike, do you go back with the same screw holes on everything? Does the flocking cover them up or do you mark them some way like with a peg or something when you put on flocking. Just curious, you really do a great job.


I like plugging the holes with maple dowels. That way I have fresh tight wood for the new screws. I never use the old screws and exact replacements are very easy to find. Same with the springs. I am after consistency with what I am doing.
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:36 am     Reply with quote

Getting things ready for Bud's polishing and the long hours of cleaning and polishing each bell crank and cross shaft.




_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Henry Matthews


From:
Texarkana, Ark USA
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Mike Scaggs wrote:
Henry Matthews wrote:
Mike, do you go back with the same screw holes on everything? Does the flocking cover them up or do you mark them some way like with a peg or something when you put on flocking. Just curious, you really do a great job.


I like plugging the holes with maple dowels. That way I have fresh tight wood for the new screws. I never use the old screws and exact replacements are very easy to find. Same with the springs. I am after consistency with what I am doing.


Good idea Mike and I noticed you going back with Phillips screws instead of those awful slotted screws. Hate those things. Your work is awesome.
_________________
Henry Matthews
D-10 1982 Emmons p/p Black
D-10 1975 Emmons p/p Black Woodneck Bolt-on
LTD amp, Nashville 400 amp, Quilter Steelaire amp, Goodrich pedal, BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Henry Matthews wrote:
Mike Scaggs wrote:
Henry Matthews wrote:
Mike, do you go back with the same screw holes on everything? Does the flocking cover them up or do you mark them some way like with a peg or something when you put on flocking. Just curious, you really do a great job.


I like plugging the holes with maple dowels. That way I have fresh tight wood for the new screws. I never use the old screws and exact replacements are very easy to find. Same with the springs. I am after consistency with what I am doing.


Good idea Mike and I noticed you going back with Phillips screws instead of those awful slotted screws. Hate those things. Your work is awesome.


Well actually I use slot head like the orig screws. What ever the original was is what I replace with and I really don't have a bit of trouble with slot heads. Neck screws and keyhead screws are phillips and I normally end up re-using those. All the tuning cap screws, pedal stop cap screws are replaced.
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dale Rottacker


From:
Tacoma Washington, USA
Post Posted 9 Sep 2017 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

I’ve enjoyed watching how you do this from start to finish on the other two... would really be fun to watch a video of the whole process... Incredible work Mike
_________________
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune

*1990 Jim Lindsey Special, Quad Original Bill Lawrence 705 PUP’s, 8x8 Gary Hogue Clone
*Black n Gray, Mullen D-10 8x7/ *Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6/ *Black Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x4
*Sho-Bud Maverick 3x1/ *Fender 400
*Fender Twin/ *Peavey Session 400/ *Peavey Session 500/ *Peavey Session 400, BW w/Spiderweb
*SteelSeat/ *Li’l Izzy/ *Profex ll/ *Lexicon MPX1/ *Telonics Multi-Taper/ *Brad Sarno Revelation Tube Pre-Amp/*Rick Johnson Cabinets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 10 Sep 2017 4:05 am     Reply with quote

Dale Rottacker wrote:
I’ve enjoyed watching how you do this from start to finish on the other two... would really be fun to watch a video of the whole process... Incredible work Mike


Ok, so here is a short 3 minute video clip of what I have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJEfZPxhRqY&feature=youtu.be
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ken Byng


From:
Southampton, England
Post Posted 10 Sep 2017 5:01 am     Reply with quote

Good luck with your special keeper Mike. It's going to look a real stunner in sunburst. I had my old brown Sho~Bud Pro 111 restored to a sunburst finish, and she looked a real treat afterwards.



_________________
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), Show Pro D10 - blueburst (9+5) Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 10 Sep 2017 5:16 am     Reply with quote

Ken Byng wrote:
Good luck with your special keeper Mike. It's going to look a real stunner in sunburst. I had my old brown Sho~Bud Pro 111 restored to a sunburst finish, and she looked a real treat afterwards.


Love it Ken
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:33 am     Reply with quote

So even if you don't have a crack (which they usually do on lacquers) I do this as a safety.... Beechwood biscuits slotted in the end. Makes em stronger.



_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ken Byng


From:
Southampton, England
Post Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:53 am     Reply with quote

I only ever had one guitar that had the dreaded crack behind the changer, and that was a Sho~Bud LDG. That is a great idea Mike.
_________________
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), Show Pro D10 - blueburst (9+5) Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Mike Scaggs


From:
Nashville, TN
Post Posted 10 Sep 2017 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Here is a quick video showing the way I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKCu4dGOj8Y&feature=youtu.be
_________________
Everything affects everythng

Infinity D-10 9x8, 73 Emmons P/P Lacquer/Metal neck D10, Telonics TCA-500c & Pedal, NV400, 64 Twin (JBLs) Visit my website www.p2pamps.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website

All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Jump to:  

Our Online Catalog
Strings, CDs, instruction,
steel guitars & accessories

www.SteelGuitarShopper.com

Steel Guitar Music
Instrumental steel guitar CDs for your permanent collection
www.SteelGuitarMusic.com

Please review our Forum Rules and Policies

The Steel Guitar Forum
148 South Cloverdale Blvd.
Cloverdale, CA 95425 USA

Support This Forum


BIAB Styles
Ray Price Shuffles for Band-in-a-Box
by Jim Baron
HTTP