The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Some Northern Texas Info
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:03 pm    

My wife and I may be moving to the Bonham area. I'm expecting that there isn't much steel guitar action in that area. Too bad as I just ordered a new Mullen SD-12 a few weeks ago.

Anyway, we are interested in knowing how close to hurricane alley it is. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:08 pm    

It's not "IN" Hurricane alley; but certainly in "Tornado" alley.....two completely different systems.
No you don't want either one; but Hurricane's are less often.
Bonham is only like an hour north/east of Dallas outskirts.
Ricky

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:20 pm    

Thanks. I was going to say tornado alley. The hurricane thing in Houston is on my mind.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:32 pm    

You will be very happy with your Mullen. I've had mine since 09, and have no regrets. Be sure to post a picture when you get it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 5:06 pm    

Yeah I know you probably meant "Tornado Alley"...and yes that whole north Texas all the way down to mid-tex and up to mid-nebraska from Rocky Mountains(that's what causes it..ha) over to east of Nashville mountains..is Tornado Alley.
Here's why>

no where else in the world this happens; because of the Rocky mountains and the gulf of mexico and their entities is why this happens.
God Bless America and especially bless south Texas right now with the misery we are having to go through. My Daughter had to be boat rescued yesterday in Spring, Tx. she's safe and alright...but she is one of Millions and millions that did not have a great week...ah...ha.
Ricky

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 6:00 pm    

Glad your daughter is safe, Ricky, and my thoughts are with all those enduring this tragedy.

Somehow I don't think I'll be complaining about our Yankee snow and cold quite as much this winter.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 7:21 pm    

Larry Baker wrote:
You will be very happy with your Mullen. I've had mine since 09, and have no regrets. Be sure to post a picture when you get it.

I'm sure I will be happy. My Carter D10 is a great guitar, but it's getting too heavy for me. I rarely play C6 anymore, so I decided to venture into an extended E9. I'm also giving up 2 knee levers and one pedal that I have now. I want to go back to basics and keep the changes I use most. 3&4 for me now. I also ordered the split cases. I have 5 steps from my porch to the driveway. Even with a handtruck, even a stair climber one, it is too hard for me to get up the stairs. After a gig, I am usually laid up for a day gobbling pain pills. I have bowed out of the band's I was playing with, at least until I get comfortable with the 12 string. I'm sure that when I get it, I'll want to be out working it.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 4:30 am     north texass

North Texas State, Denton.

Monster Players!
widcj@hotmail.com

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 5:38 am    

You may be in luck. I work with a band in Paris which is about 40 minutes east of Bonham. They stay very busy all over East Texas.

I try to play with them as much as I can but typical driving time from my house is 3 to 4 hours to their gigs.They would love to have a steady steel man.

When you move,let me know and I'll hook you up.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 7:47 am    

Be patient a you adjust to the great extended E9 setup, Rich. It's worth it! If you need any pointers, call/write/Skype me.

Your pal,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Easy PayPal link: paypal.me/JohnMcClung
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 10:48 am    

What Dick said. They really are looking for a steady steel guy and that could really work out for you. You may also reach out to Charles Tilley who runs the East Texas Steel Guitar Association. Welcome to Texas!!

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 11:00 am    

Moving to Texas is only a possibility. My wife's daughter may lose her home. If that happens, her and us will most likely buy some land and put a couple of manufatured home. Her daughter has horses. So, it will be a little while before we can move.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 12:18 pm    

Paris is a pretty good size town but I do not know the steel players there. Thirty miles west is Sherman/Dennison area. Luther Thompson, Jackie Harmon and Louie Hallford live in that area. I live thirty miles west of a Sherman and there are a couple players around this area. I would bet you could find gigs to play.

Les Cargill

Oklahoma City, Ok, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2017 6:25 am     Re: Need Some Northern Texas Info

Richard Sinkler wrote:
My wife and I may be moving to the Bonham area. I'm expecting that there isn't much steel guitar action in that area. Too bad as I just ordered a new Mullen SD-12 a few weeks ago.

Anyway, we are interested in knowing how close to hurricane alley it is. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Hurricanes are not a consideration.

I lived in Bonham from mid '94 to the end of '95.

If you're gonna steel, you'll be drawing on the DFW area, Sherman area or possibly Paris. They've bulked the roads from Fannin County to the Dallas Metro Mess considerably since. They're nice roads now.

When last I heard, Bonham's sort of dying. I worked for about the last industrial concern there - Southwest Pump.

It's really pretty land around there - the Red River Valley - and all the farmland between Bonham and the Red is nice sandy land, good for about anything you want. SFAIK, you don't get flooding from the Red but there can be slow drainage in places.

I just hope it hasn't gotten too much like a James McMurtry lyric around there.

And hopefully, you'll be within radio shot of KHYI.