The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  R.I.P ISGC, Missing you this weekend
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 4:02 pm    

I miss my friends at the Steel guitar convention.
No where could you meet old and make new friends like you could at the Convention. I get a little sad at this time every year.

BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 8:17 pm    

Thank you Bill. All of us miss the ISGC this time of the year. We did it for 45 years. We miss planning it and seeing everybody, but most of all we miss our Dad, Scotty. All of the friends we made, both old and new, were because of his vision and his love of the steel guitar. Nobody could do a show like he could. Hopefully we will see most of you at other shows in the future. God bless everybody.

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 11:31 pm     Isgc

Being new to Pedal Steel Guitar, I never made it to the "ISGC". Sandra I would have loved to have met your dad, as well as, meet and make many new friends. Hopefully somewhere down the road I will be able to make it to a show or two and meet some of you great people. Many of you have already helped me out and we have never met.

Many Thanks to Scotty and others who have worked so hard to keep Pedal Steel Guitar alive!!

God Bless!!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 3:43 am    

This post really makes me feel sad. I too have so many great memories of the ISGC and Scotty and the rest of the gang. Boy, I really liked hanging out there with Speedy and Scotty. So many great people and players have passed over the last 20 years, it is a totally different world from the steel guitar community perspective. Wish there were a way the ISGC could be revived.

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 3:59 am    

I got to play the last show. I talked your mom just before I went on. She said Scotty was in the hospital and wasn't doing good. We talked a moment about how bad he wanted to be there. It bothered me so bad that I couldn't remember what I was going to play. Thanks to Dino, Ric, Jimmy and Roy I made it through it.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 4:29 am    

I started going when it was at the Chase Park Plaza Hotel. When it moved downtown I never really liked the sound, compared to what it was at the Chase Park. But, I never missed a year from 76 to 97. I retired in 96 and moved from Kansas City to Florida. After 97 is was an every other year event and my wife and I would time our visits to Kansas City (to see our children) around the ISGC.

Regardless of how many other steel shows or "conventions" there are or how big or small, none compare to the ISGC.

frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 11:08 am    

Fabulous memories....what can I say...miss those great times!
Thanks to the Scott family!!!

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 3:41 pm    

Sandra Scott-Wall wrote:
Thank you Bill. All of us miss the ISGC this time of the year. We did it for 45 years. We miss planning it and seeing everybody, but most of all we miss our Dad, Scotty. All of the friends we made, both old and new, were because of his vision and his love of the steel guitar. Nobody could do a show like he could. Hopefully we will see most of you at other shows in the future. God bless everybody.

I hate to think where the Steel Guitar would be today without your dad and the ISGC, but I would also like to pay tribute your mom. She was there every step of the way. She should be in the hall of fame to, IMHO.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Sandra Scott-Wall

St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2017 4:35 pm    

Bill you are too kind. This will make mom cry, but it will be good tears. She WAS there the whole way. They were married for over 60 years and he took her all over the world - all because of the steel guitar. Her support (and patience!) helped keep him going. She SHOULD be commended!

Mike Mantey

Eastern Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:57 am    

I miss this show so much. Had almost all of my best guitar experiences at this show. I really miss the people and Scotty and the Family. We felt like part of it and it was very special to us. We love you guys.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 7:14 am    

Sandra Scott-Wall wrote:
Bill you are too kind. This will make mom cry, but it will be good tears. She WAS there the whole way. They were married for over 60 years and he took her all over the world - all because of the steel guitar. Her support (and patience!) helped keep him going. She SHOULD be commended!

Amen to that!

Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:30 pm    

Jim, I second your Amen, and I too really miss that show.....

Joe Rogers

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 3:08 pm    

I wish I could win the lottery, I would continue it in some manner.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 1:35 am    

excellent memories , time well spent. I only attended a handful but they were treasures.

True story, Maybe 2010..

I arrived early Fri Am, by myself. Buddy opened on Fri Night to a packed house, standing room only. I called home and told my wife to book an Airline ticket for early SAT morning , which she did. She arrived in St Louis in time for Buddy and Hal's set ( if I recall) then Tommy White. She sat on the floor in the very front. I had as much fun watching her loving it as much as I was loving it ! The place was rockin !

Thanks to the Scott family for all of our memories, couldn't have them without THEM ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Chris Caruso

Merrimack, NH USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 7:04 am    

Lots of good times and meeting lots of great people! Always enjoyed the picking in all of the rooms.

Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 7:04 am    

Like the rest of Y'all, I miss the ISGC! As Jack Stoner commented no matter how many Steel Guitar Conventions and or Steel Guitar shows none will ever compare with those hosted by DeWitt "Scotty" Scott and Mrs. Mary and their Family! Thank you Sandra! You and all of your family are to be commended for all your hard work. Next, I think a Big reason that the ISGC was so successful was because of all the Super talented Steel Guitarists and musicians who performed on it! I am thankful that I was able to attend many years between 1977 and 2013.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 3:52 pm    

Does anyone think that Bill looks like "Grandpa Jones" Smile

Roger

Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 9:22 am    

Roger Shackelton wrote:
Does anyone think that Bill looks like "Grandpa Jones" Smile

Roger

Well that's a first....lol Laughing
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.

Ray Uhl

Riverside, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 12:59 pm     Isgc

My wife and I were out driving today and I told her how it still feels strange not being in St.Louis at the ISGC. Just goes to show you should savor every moment because things will change.

Gary Hoetker

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 9:36 am    

He's deeply missed !!

Casey Lowmiller

Kansas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2017 6:42 pm    

One of my biggest regrets is that I never got a chance to make it to the ISGC.

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 9:42 am    

Those times sitting on the floor in front of the stage watching Buddy and the rest of the Pros are some of my best musical memories.

If only we had digital audio and video recorders back then - what a treasure that would be for all time.....and for the benefit of future players.

Todd Goad

Gray, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2017 10:01 pm    

Ron Funk wrote:
Those times sitting on the floor in front of the stage watching Buddy and the rest of the Pros are some of my best musical memories.

If only we had digital audio and video recorders back then - what a treasure that would be for all time.....and for the benefit of future players.

Ron, I agree it would be nice for me who never got the chance to attend and for many to reminisce over so many great memories.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2017 3:29 pm    

I went to that thing 7 or 8 times from 1984 to about 2007 and sat at the feet of the masters (and partied with a lot of them). It was the inner sanctum of steel guitar. Those experiences can't be replaced. And only Scotty could pull it off.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2017 5:37 am    

I was there for 39 consecutive years and 35 of those were spent in the sound booth.

The Scott's made me feel really important for the ISGC. I made so many friends from around the world and became close friends with many of my heroes.

No one would know who Bill Ferguson is without the ISGC.

And thank you Sandy for the times we had plugging at each other. We actually did become FRIENDS. hehe (and I still have some pieces of chocolate waiting to toss over to you).

Love ya Scott's.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.