The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  One string sounds like a sitar.....
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 6:12 am    

I've found other threads involving this issue in the archive, but they were all unwound strings with changes. The answer was either that the string was about to break or there was a flaw where the string lays on the changer from the wear and tear of movement.

This is my 7th string (F# on E9), a wound, fairly heavy string with no changes. It actually sounds good as an effect. I could find uses for it. What worries me is that I didn't really notice it until the last couple of days which suggests that it may get worse.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 6:52 am    

Does it happen with new strings? Do you hear it if you don't use a bar? If the changer doesn't have any grooves or flat spots then try rotating the roller a little and see if that doesn't help get rid of the buzz.

Are you using the correct guage string?

Last edited by Dick Wood on 30 Aug 2017 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 6:55 am    

I never had that problem until recently, on a new guitar with a new brand of strings. It started happening 4 or 5 days after putting the new set on. It surprised me that the angle across the bridge on the tuner side was so very flat. So that particular psg or manufacturer created the susceptibility for the problem.

Apparently, the tightness of the windings on the string combined with the stiffness of the alloy of that particular string brand and set created the additional susceptibility for the problem.

I wasn't at all as happy with the tone and feel of those strings as with my usual set (George L strings). So I think I'll stay with the George L's.