The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bandit 65 is a heck of an amp
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 6:54 pm    

Got one for $75 used for a practice amp. Ended up using it on jobs where stage space is limited or quick load in for an hour long job etc. It can be loud if need be, guitar players loved this amp I hear.

I can dial it in with my PP, but not sold on the 12 Scorpion speaker UNTIL I just plugged into the preamp in on the back of the amp, by passing the entire front end of every control.

The body of the low end and the mids came through with more punch and less transistor like sound. Augment with my effects unit eq if need be and off we go.

Always willing to try something new and different, this might be the ticket or at least another ticket.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 5:03 am    

Haha.. I have to chuckle when folks 'discover' these amps. Congrats Larry! Welcome to the club. These are BIG time sleepers. I've had a bunch, and just bought another one, a mint Bandit 65, closet queen, $100.00. They are surprisingly good for steel, and you're right, guitar players like 'em too. I've noticed that the going price seems to be creeping up a bit. $75 is pretty good. The one I bought before this latest one was a first year I paid $50 for (photo). Most are for sale in the $125 to $150 asking range these days.

I've spent more on fancy dinners a bunch of times. Smile

Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 7:34 am    

And it's little known fact that Dicky Overbey liked the Bandit for recording. He used one on a lot of the stuff he did with Justin Trevino for Heart Of Texas Records. The last time I went to see him before he passed he had one set up in his living room, waiting for me to deliver his Sho-Bud LDG back to him so he could plug 'er in!

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 6:18 am    

I picked up a Bandit, 112 Transtube really cheap in a package deal..Sounds good for practice, don't know how it would do for playing out where you need volume.

BF

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 6:17 am    

I have a Bandit 65' and a Special 130. Used them both quite a lot first couple of years after starting my band. I now use an LTD 400 with Neo. Would like to try Bandit 65 for pedal steel when I have church gig and need LTD for other gigs so I can leave it at church. Do you use a preamp of some kind and then plug into power amp in? I see you can plug right into pwr amp in but can't control volume or anything. I may put mine back in rotation, I forgot how good they were too. I have been collecting old Peaveys just for fun, they are so cheap sometimes. I have 2 Pacers as well. Nice for steel too. Have one in my bedroom, one in my music room for quick practice when my other gear is tied up from being loaded in and out. Kind of ridiculous how many I have, 7 total I think, I use most of them pretty regular. Nice to see the 65 being talked about and used.