The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  0 Pedal
Gary Arnold

Panhandle of Florida, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 5:15 pm    

I have a steel with 4 pedals(Emmons setup and E's on the left) and the 0(#1) spot with the Franklin pull on it. I would like to put a new change there that would work with the A pedal. Could I get some info. Thanks guys, I know I will get a lot of ideas. Looking forward to getting your ideas. Thanks, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Arrow Gary

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 5:46 pm    

To work with the A pedal ? You could lower 6 to G and maybe lower 3 to G or raise it to A making a A7. That would give you the pedal 6 change on C6. If you like Don Helms you could pull 6 to B and 7 to G#. That would give you a E13 tuning. I've thought about adding that to my guitar. Be open minded, you never know what you might come up with.

Tony

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 8:27 pm    

I raise 1 and 2 to G# and E. While it doesn't seem to combine much at the same time, they follow each other well, such as the intro to Brad Paisley's He Didn't Have to Be.
If that change is on the floor, you can split it with the whole tone drop of 2. See this video here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XUykptG6DBQ

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 10:58 am    

I recommend Tony's idea--in fact, lower both G#s to G. This results in a minor chord, and a nice minor 6th when combined with your next-door A pedal.

This minor 6th chord is also a dominant 9th of a related chord: E minor 6th (using 0 pedal + A pedal) = an A7.

Another plus: Flatting the 3rd and 6th strings gives a nice relative minor 3 frets down from the major. So instead of going from C major to A minor (8th fret) by pulling the 5th string up, you drop down 3 frets (to 5th fret) and apply the 0 pedal. Sounds less usual, and sounds good when glissing between the two.

Chris