The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slight tuning drop
Tony Boadle

Skibbereen, County Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 11:58 am    

Hi Team,
I built my own string-bender set-up a while back, it works well and cost just a few euros. I also made a roller nut to ensure smooth movement at the other end.
Lately, I've noticed a very slight drop in the third string note when I press the second string lever fully down. It happens regardless of what the third string lever is doing
It's so slight that I've only recently noticed it, but now I've heard it, I can't stop hearing it!
I've tightened every nut, bolt and screw, I've oiled everything that can be oiled, and I can't see any movement other than the levers up and down. The whole set-up is very sturdy, and I'm baffled as to the cause of the problem.
I'm wondering if it's an unavoidable consequence of bending strings, or maybe an inherent design fault?
Any advice appreciated, pics attached.
Thanks in advance!

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 2:05 pm    

Nice job on that bridge, Tony. It certainly looks sturdy enough.

Two questions - 1. Does the second string sound lower when you depress the third string lever? 2. Is it possible that the "landing pad" for the tuning screws is shifting somehow when the screw hits?

The tiny problems always seem the most frustrating. Best of luck.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 3:26 pm    

Thanks for your input, David. The third string lever doesn't affect the second string at all, and the 'landing pad' (great name!) is secure and stable.
But you got me thinking, and I started examining that area. I noticed one thing....if I press my thumb firmly down on the 'return'screw of the third string lever, thus kinda bracing it in position, the problem reduces significantly.
Looking closely, I can see the double washer that separates the levers is rotating with the second lever, but not the third.
In other words, those washers could be dragging the third string lever around a tiny bit as they turn with the second string lever, but not the other way round.
It's twenty past midnight here, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to investigate further.
Thanks for indirectly pointing me in a new direction!

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2017 6:18 pm    

Can't wait to hear where this little adventure goes. Keep us all posted.

I've been down in your part of the country many years ago. Played a little folk club/pub gig in Cork City in the mid 90s backing a Canadian singer. Got hopelessly lost the next day looking for an ancient stone circle down your way. We did finally find it.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 8:37 am    

Tony,

Are the ferrules on the bridge actually rollers or just slotted into the bridge? I think you need the rollers more on the bridge end than the nut. Not sure if that could have anything to do with your problem or not. I know that the late Tom Pettingill just used a Delrin nut but put rollers on the bridge when he installed benders on one of his builds.

What pickup is that? I'd like to find a similar 8-string pickup for a project.

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 11:26 am    

David, the stone circle is called Drombeg.....it's still here lol.
Bill, I don't know the make of the pickup,it came fitted to the SX. When I built an eight string a few years ago, I used a cheap Chinese bass guitar pick up from eBay, it was wide enough to do the job quite well.
As for my tuning drop, problem solved. I replaced one of the two spacer washers between the levers with a support pillar, just a small flat bar with a hole for the axle to slide through. The pillar sits on the base plate, and has done the trick.(You can see the pillar if you look closely at the attached pic) I guess the axle was possibly flexing slightly and needed the centre brace.
Thanks for the input, SGF strikes again!

Tony Boadle

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 11:36 am    

BTW, those two holes in the base plate used to guide two cables from the levers to a pair of pedals...a simple very basic PSG that actually worked very well!

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2017 12:28 pm    

GREAT! Glad it worked out, Tony.

Bill, I don't know what your budget might be for an 8 string pickup, but check out Jason Lollar's stuff. He makes a 1950s Gibson Grande Console repro pickup that is really nice.

http://www.lollarguitars.com